is show sheen

sager:)silkies

Songster
8 Years
Oct 1, 2011
Canada
i was wondering do u guys use show sheen on ur silkies b4 a show i heard ppl use glycerin but show sheen has that as a ingreadiant also if u dont whats the best thing to use

I've also wondered about Mink Oil spray, does anyone use that? Back when I used Show Sheen, it was on horses. Never even thought about showing chickens in those days!
gig.gif

I've seen some do it with silkies, mainly blacks and "some" blues. Usually seen in hard-feathered birds.

I've used Pink Spray, in the, um...ethnic haircare aisle. Hold the bird and do a LIGHT spray in the air over your bird. Otherwise, it will just settle on the bird and gunk the feathers up.

Showsheen does work on the foot feathers in the conditioning pens. You spray it on and it seems to keep those foot feathers a lil more pliable and less apt to break. It also is great at repelling stains on the foot feathers too. As for spraying the whole birds with it, you probably don't want to do that as it will gum up the silkied feathers. You want the bird clean...bathe a few days before and then spotclean and blowdry just before the show again. You can touch up the combs with baby oil, vaseline, etc. The only thing you really want to do to the feathering is take a furminator or flea comb through and get most of the cases off the pinfeathers. If you need to pluck a few feathers around the eyes, cushion, or shape the crest a little bit just be carefull. There can be a fine line between grooming and faking.

Back
Top Bottom