Is showing Ducks not popular?

Duck showing usually isn't as popular with 4-H or FFA kids, at least where I'm at! We do have a few nice pens of ducks, mostly Pekins entered in the market classes, but there are a few families that bring in some lovely Runners or Campbells every year! I haven't showed ducks for two years, but hoping to try again for my last year in 4-H...
hit.gif

Those comments left by judges may seem kind of blatantly mean, but they are meant to improve the exhibiter's knowledge about showing and bird care. If someone ever ends up with a card with a comment that they can't understand the meaning, it is always best to respectfully ask the judge what they mean. Sometimes, Judges will give helpful hints and tips for improving a bird's performance in the show ring.

My favorite type of show at our fair was always showmanship. It had nothing to do with the bird, but everything to do with the exhibiter's knowledge and handling of the duck they chose. I used my mutt-ducks in showmanship, and still did very well! As long as the bird was calm and gentle, it could have missing toenails and a third eye, and still do well! (well, maybe not a third eye, but you know what I mean
smile.png
)

I haven't read any of the replies to this, so I have no ideal what all has already been said, but I will say this:
Last year, super grand champion of the entire Crossroads nationals was a duck. That means this duck beat every single other bird that was entered in the fourth largest poultry show ever seen in North America.

If I decide to get my boys into showing ducks they would get the guides on how to raise and show a standard duck. Unfortunately we tend to sugar coat things too often to kids nowadays so perhaps that is why I was so surprised at the comments. There were some sad looking chickens being shown so agree those birds probably should have never been put in the competition!
Good luck showing!!!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom