is sneezing normal?

daniellooo

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2015
So these peachicks have been sneezing a bit over the last few days. Is it possible its just smoke from these very close wildfires getting to them? Its been completely smokey here for the last week. Or is it more likely illness?

Please, does anyone have insight? It may be a dumb question but any help to keep these birds healthy would be so appreciated.

Do your peababies have any other symptoms?
Are they eating/drinking/pooping?
Do they have droopy wings or odd posture, do they seem tired or lethargic?
Is there any sign of swelling on their faces, discharge from nostrils or eyes, or anything else unusual?

Thanks for the welcome and for the responses!
Kathy- if i watch them for 15-20 minutes, ill probably hear about 10 sneezes. There are seven chicks all together. They're acting normaly, but in the shady corner of the pen more than usual. They also seem to be gaining weight. I have not weighed them, theyre pretty hard to catch. They've slowed down on eating their crumble but still woof down mealworms and greens like its going out of style.

New 2 peafowl- as far as i can tell they are acting okay. I did notice one had a watery stool the other day, but someone told me it may have been because i fed them a slice of watermelon. No droopy wings or odd posture. They are preening a lot though, but i havent seen any lice or mites. No discharge or swelling either.
Tomorrow i plan on getting wormer and switching to medicated starter. Is there anything else i should do?

Is the sneezing correlated with eating and/or drinking? Like KsKingBee said, birds sneezing can be normal if they are overly enthusiastic when eating and drinking. At least with my chickens, it doesn't necessarily have to be a wet mash. I have one chicken that will wolf down scratch grain, given the opportunity, and seemingly forget to take a breath. She gets it up her nostrils and sneezes bits of scratch grain out everywhere. Yuck.

I first noticed the sneezing when i was handfeeding some greens to them butbnot when they eat feed. It might be related to their preening, maybe its getting too dusty in their pen? Theres also a bad wildfire close to here, and the smoke has been affecting my sinuses, was wondering if it could get to the birds too?
I forgot to mention its been getting cold here at night and ive noticed some shivering in the mornings. Could they have a cold maybe from the weather change?
Hey amina- that sounds gross but totally endearing!

Oh and theyve been on dirt since they hatched, not sure how old they are. Maybe a few months, their necks are getting colorful, if thats a good indicator of age.

Last edited:
They're still sneezing today, and shaking their heads when they sneeze now. I also gave them safeguard this morning, 5cc in a gallon then mixed into food and some in their water dish. I got tylan from the store just in case I'd need it because I see it being recommended here a lot, but turns out its past the expiration date.

They're still sneezing today, and shaking their heads when they sneeze now. I also gave them safeguard this morning, 5cc in a gallon then mixed into food and some in their water dish. I got tylan from the store just in case I'd need it because I see it being recommended here a lot, but turns out its past the expiration date.
If you want to worm them, give it orally... 5cc's in a gallon is very unlikely to work. How old are they?

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom