Is something wrong with her foot? (Pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AnnaLease, Nov 6, 2011.

1. AnnaLease

AnnaLease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    Vienna, my little white call has been limping for a few day. I picked her up and checked out her foot. I soaked it and scrubbed it with a toothbrush so I could see it better. It looks to me like a callous, like how my Mom's heels are (really tough and cracked). I picked at it with a tweezers, and it was just like hard skin. The picture don't really show what it looks like (sorry). I don't think it's bumble foot, but what is it? Will it go away on it's own? You can see that there is also a "crack" under her middle toe. Is that causing her to limp? Thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Are you keeping her on wire? If so, don't. Use some antibiotic cream and watch it. Bumble foot can be deadly. This isn't so bad, just make sure it doesn't get worse.

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Looks like"bumble foot". Just Keep her bedding "VERY CLEAN"

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    This happens to my Calls feet as well when they are on wire for a long while. Their feet get dry and crack, that is why I put Vaseline on their feet and legs to keep them from drying and cracking. But when one dose get a crack I wash the feet very well and put Neosporin (make sure it is the kind without pain relievers in it) on it, they go away in no time. Now since your Call is limping I would say it has become painful and maybe infected. I would put her in a dry clean place, put Neosporin on the cracks and wrap the foot up, or maybe letting it breath would be better, but keep it clean and soft until it heals up. Perhaps you could get some antibiotics for her to fight infection.

5. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    I wouldn't reccomend having any birds on wire during winter.

6. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:x2 most definitely

7. AnnaLease

May 10, 2011
    Nope, she is not on wire. The duck house has grass hay on the floor and they are free ranging during the day. So you guys are saying the crack is bad and she also has bumble foot and she's limping because of them both?

8. cat1994

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Quote:It can also happen when the surface they walk on all the time is rough. B/c of the rough surface and dry feet her feet have cracked, b/c her feet have cracked they have gotten infected which is called Bumble foot which is painful so she limps.

9. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Nice cleanup job!

And good that you're looking closely. I'd say it looks like an early case of bumblefoot, and agree that she needs regular (I usually do twice daily) cleaning and application of antibiotic ointment.

How the foot got that way is a guess right now. Sometimes these things just happen. Sometimes it's wire, or coarse gravel. I have read of someone having trouble after putting a material in the bedding to reduce odors. Neun got bumblefoot in midwinter, possibly from skating on ice while she was outdoors. She did not spend all day outdoors - I brought the ducks into a warm basement frequently. But somehow she nicked her foot and an infection set in. You might want to look around for an old piece of chicken wire laying around where she may be walking over it.

Starting this early, you should be able to clear it up. I have found it takes weeks to get rid of it, but it's better, I feel, than trying to open the foot up.

It occurred to me she may have also pulled a muscle, so some swim time in lukewarm clean water may help her recover more quickly.

10. AnnaLease

May 10, 2011
    Quote:It can also happen when the surface they walk on all the time is rough. B/c of the rough surface and dry feet her feet have cracked, b/c her feet have cracked they have gotten infected which is called Bumble foot which is painful so she limps.

Thank you for the explanation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by