Is something wrong with my chicken or am I a worry-wart?

Chiriohs

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 15, 2010
Duncan, OK
I have an easter-egger chicken that's 7 months old. Her three sisters are laying eggs almost every day, but she does not appear to be laying. I had 4 eggs one day, and then two days after that, there was again a 4th egg but with EXTREMELY thin shell. I have not had a 4th egg since then and it's been about a week. She had poop on the vent feathers (didn't block vent), so I brought her inside to wash that off. While she was inside she pooped, and while it wasn't really watery, it was a soft stool. She seems to act normally and eat and drink just fine. Could she just be a late layer?

Last edited:
Not grit, calcium. Oyster shell is a good choice, but it is not grit. Grit is insoluble rock, such as granite. It does not get digested. It remains in the gizzard to grind up food until it is worn down enough to pass through the digestive tract. Oyster shell will dissolve fairly readily and be absorbed into the chicken's system. There are other sources of calcium, such as greens, but I find that oyster shell is the best free choice source for me. I put it in a separate feeder in the coop and they eat it according to need. I just about have to hit my eggs with a hammer to crack them. Not really, but they are very strong.

As for laying, are you sure you know which ones are laying? It would be unusual for most chickens to lay everyday. Five to seven eggs per week is the norm for most laying breeds. Is it possible that yours are on four or five egg per week rotation and the one you think is not laying is actually laying right along with the others?

UGCM

Last edited:
Quote:
Grit is for digesting food. Calcium is what's needed for shell strength. The usual source of calcium is oyster shell, but feeding eggs, shell and all, can supplement it.

So basically, get them more calcium? I had planned to do that, just hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'll probably get to the store tomorrow or Saturday. In the mean time, she's in a pet carrier until I get back from work tomorrow so she can fully dry from her bath. Maybe I'll find an egg.
smile.png

I think she's the one who isn't laying because I've seen the other three chickens in the nesting boxes at one time or another, and have never seen her in one. Not like I watch them all the time though.

from everything you said, it sounds like it could be normal. every so often every chicken does a soft ugly poop. very rarely you might get a soft shelled egg. some hens start laying later than others - I had one that didn't start till 8 months. but I would make sure you are feeding layer feed + oyster shells or other source of calcium. some mix the oyster shells in; others offer it in a separate container free choice.

Okay, that's what I was thinking after doing some research.

The day I bought another sack of all purpose crumbles because a friend told me they wouldn't lay until mid-summer, I found eggs in the nest boxes! I am just about out of that bag, so I will be getting the proper feed tomorrow or Saturday, along with some oyster shell.

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom