Is something wrong with my chicken?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 2DogsCoop, Dec 13, 2012.

1. 2DogsCoop

2DogsCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    It has been a while since I have posted, I have 10 chickens, 5 red star and 5 black star. My concern is one of the black stars comb is really dull. All the other chickens are bright red. She seems to be the odd ball of the flock, more like a loaner. I don't see the other chickens pecking at her anymore than they do each other. Is she lacking nutrients or is this something else I should be concerned with.

Thanks,

2. 2DogsCoop

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Bump

3. Animol

Animol Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    England
    Is she laying? If she isn't her cone will naturally go paler.
    Otherwise there are various things that can make her anemic like lice and other parasites - not much help but I would give her liver or another high protein food (cooked to kill the germs). Dried mealworms or other insects are good too.
    I have one phoenix hen like this about a year old but ever since I let her hatch her chicks she has been staying mostly with them, she doesn't go near the main flock at all, she had lice when I first got her and when I eventually got rid of them she was extremly timid and lathargic, the males just squished her so I kept her in isolation, she went broody so I let her sit and hatch her eggs and though she is still antisocial she's alot better now, even with her pale comb.
    You could check if shes egg bound - I've heard about it but I never really had a problem so I don't know much about it but the symptoms might match...maybe...I don't really know.
    Hope this helped to some limited extent...

4. TweeTea

TweeTea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2012
    Canberra, Australia
    I think Animol had a good response re:dull comb when off the lay, mites, anemia etc.

In summer we have mosquitos here that give our girls a version of chicken pox (crazy i know) they get dull combs, black spots appear on their comb and can go off the lay. Over a few weeks our girls recover.

5. 2DogsCoop

Mar 16, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Thanks, I will keep a close eye on her. She seems fine, I did not see any mites on her but will look again. We are getting 5 americana the end of January so the whole pecking order is going to change again. Maybe she wont be the bottom chicken anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by