Is something wrong with this roosters feet?

There is bound to be some swelling with frostbite, it's a normal part of the process. Nothing to worry about unless it's excessive or is also really red.
There is no redness. He does stand on one foot every so often. So he may be in some sort of pain. He is a big baby too, I was shocked he ran from my dog and I when we walked towards him. He has had two different hens attack him. Is this normal behavior? I thought hens and roosters typically get along.

There is no redness. He does stand on one foot every so often. So he may be in some sort of pain. He is a big baby too, I was shocked he ran from my dog and I when we walked towards him. He has had two different hens attack him. Is this normal behavior? I thought hens and roosters typically get along.
It will take some time for the wounds to fully heal and for calluses to form on his toes, so I'm sure they hurt, I can't imagine my fingers or toes falling off, it must be painful and disturbing.

I like a rooster that moves away and doesn't bully the hens. As he finds his confidence he should start to take control of the hens, for now it's good your hens are reminding him who is boss.

I agree with OHLD in that there is usually swelling above the frostbite. Google frostbite in chickens’ feet and look at images. The swollen areas will usually heal and not drop off. I cannot seem to post links anymore since I changed to an Apple, or I would post some pics.

Back
Top Bottom