Is something wrong?

folgerrd

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Canada
I bought six chicks nearly a week ago(three RIRs and three Cochins) and I am worried about one of them. Elvis, my Blue Cochin, is two weeks old and doesn't have nearly as many feathers as both the other Cochins and the RIRs who are a week younger. He feels lighter than those his age and the feathers on his wings closest to his body look as though they've been clipped. He doesn't drink enough water, I have tried so many things to get him to drink more. He sleeps flat out instead of in a ball, and can not perch yet. Most worrisome are his wings as a whole. If he extends them and then tries to retract them one sticks straight out for longer than the other, and holds them kind of funny as a general rule.
Other than those things he is wonderful, smart, cute and pretty but I am worried.

Cockerels feather in slower than pullets. As a result of this they tend to be odd looking (ugly).

Why do you think he is not drinking enough? Generally chicks drink when they are thirsty. The amount varies from bird to bird.

Chicks sleep in a variety of positions. If he is flat out under a heat lamp, then he is trying to soak in as much warmth as possible. If he is huddled up then he is chilled.

Most birds don't roost until they are at the earliest 6 weeks old. How old are yours?

This sounds weird since I called Elvis, "he" and well Elvis, but Elvis is not actually male... or rather might not be male. We aren't sure. Mom said, 'Oh my gosh he's a BLUE Cochin! You must name him Elvis.' So Elvis' name has nothing to do with the gender. I call him "he" because I can't use Elvis four times in one sentence and for some reason it feels weird calling him a she.

Well, I have only ever seen him drink once and he avoids the water like the plague(they hates getting wet).

The temperature in the room they are staying in is quite warm so we don't use a heat lamp. This may sound horribly cruel, but they don't mind in fact when I use the heat lamp they all avoid each other or sit in their water(all except Elvis of course). He lays like that sometimes saperated, sometimes under the other chicks and sometimes on top. But what I am more concerend about is when he does the he extends his wings, often getting them squish by the others or moved around funny.

Elvis and the other two cochins are three(maybe three and a half) weeks and my RIRs are nearly two weeks. but I wasn't referring to roosting as in they sleep like that. The others will wrap their toes around my fingers or my training roost and sit like a bird but Elvis insists on being held with two hands wrapped around his mid-section.

I don't know what to tell you. I am not seeing anything in your post that is indicative of a problem. Describe the wing thing in detail.

Back
Top Bottom