Is Something Wrong?

Yes, the pictures show leakage, despite what you were told. In a cockerel it is a DQ; in a cock some leakage is allowed. Leakage shows most on males, but can be passed by females who show little or none. If your cocks are clear, and the offspring have leakage, it is coming from one or more of your girls.

Some breeders feel that gold leakage helps with green sheen and use males with leakage; kind of an old school thing. Personally i think it is along the line of old wives tales.

Yes, the pictures show leakage, despite what you were told. In a cockerel it is a DQ; in a cock some leakage is allowed. Leakage shows most on males, but can be passed by females who show little or none. If your cocks are clear, and the offspring have leakage, it is coming from one or more of your girls.

Some breeders feel that gold leakage helps with green sheen and use males with leakage; kind of an old school thing. Personally i think it is along the line of old wives tales.

Red or yellow in the plumage of a black bird is a disqualification. There is no cock bird exception according to the Standard.
That said, the APA Judge who bought the bird in question said he wanted the bird as a breeder not a show bird. There is a place in a black breeding program for such a bird. Many breeders of black birds use a male with red in the hackle to maintain the sheen on their females. I've used such birds myself & can attest that it does make a difference.
As Walt [fowlman01] pointed out on another thread, "leakage" seems to be another uniquely BYC term. Like Walt I've been at this for awhile & know quite a few breeders. I too have never heard the term leakage anywhere else where plumbing wasn't being discussed.

First place I ever heard the term was from a breeder, Bill. That's the only reason I use it. It's been called base color leakage, or bleed-through, whichever you prefer, as long as I've known what I was looking at and the long time breeder told me not to breed my cock bird because of it.

Not to resurrect a "dead thread" or anything, but I just wanted give an update. The blue cockerel in the last picture I posted apparently doesn't have "leakage". An APA judge walked up to me at a swap, handled him, offered to buy him (he was for sale), and when I pointed out the "leakage" he promptly told me that "leakage is when a pipe drips water" and that what my bird had was not leakage. He then told me that he was going to take him down to CA to use in a BBS Bantam Rock Breeding Program and then set $5 on the table and walked away with him. So yeah, I kinda just "sold" a potential BQ cockerel, and now I'm just more confused
hmm.png

Did he actuall say it was for a "BBS" program or did he say "Blue"? BBS is another term I've never heard anywhere other than BYC.

Did he actually say it was for a "BBS" program or did he say "Blue"? BBS is another term I've never heard anywhere other than BYC.
He said he wanted to put him over Black Bantam Rocks. I've read BBS (Blue, Black, Splash) all over on many breeder's websites. Nobody actually says "BBS" it's just an abbreviation like SQ or BCM

He said he wanted to put him over Black Bantam Rocks. I've read BBS (Blue, Black, Splash) all over on many breeder's websites. Nobody actually says "BBS" it's just an abbreviation like SQ or BCM

Again, all those abbreviations are not used elsewhere in the poultry world, they're strictlt a BYC phenomenon. Any "breeder" who's using the BBS abbreviation is surely a BYC "breeder" as in the more serious poultry world such a mating is simply known as Blue or possibly Andalusian Blue.
As I said, a black male with red in the hackle can be useful in a black mating to improve sheen in the females. I assumed that' was why the Judge was buying the bird.

Again, all those abbreviations are not used elsewhere in the poultry world, they're strictlt a BYC phenomenon. Any "breeder" who's using the BBS abbreviation is surely a BYC "breeder" as in the more serious poultry world such a mating is simply known as Blue or possibly Andalusian Blue.
As I said, a black male with red in the hackle can be useful in a black mating to improve sheen in the females. I assumed that' was why the Judge was buying the bird.
I 100% agree Bill, I have never herd a breeder use BBS or say they raise Blue/Black/Splash Rocks, they say they raise Blue Rocks..

Chris

Quote: Perhaps silkies are an exception? I had thought it was all breeds, but I guess not. Page 179 of the 2011 Bantam Standard:

"Color of Male and Female by Variety
Black Silkie Bantam
(Bearded and Non-Bearded)
Lacing of a foreign color on the black variety of males one year old and scarcity of foot feathering shall not be a disqualification but they are to be rated under birds that do not have these defects."

The it goes on to say the same for the blue variety.

Back
Top Bottom