Is squatting obvious?

chickety china

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 4, 2013
Okay, I have 7 19 week old pullets that are a mixed flock. All except my 2 BRs have large RED combs that grew in over the last couple of weeks. I am new to this, so I suspect just by age and comb maturity eggs are soon to come, but I keep looking for squatting and I just don't see it. I try to scratch their backs but most just run away; they've never been ones that like petting. I do notice A LOT of fluffing, more than usual, but can't tell of any squatting. Is it something that a trained eye would see or will I know for certain when they squat and mine just haven't done it yet?

I also have a mixed flock (6) Hens, My RIR was the first to lay, at 18 1/2 weeks, she got real red and real friendly, a week later my Cherry egger laid an egg, Today my barred rock at 20 weeks old started laying, boy did she ever sing the egg song, she had everyone singing and they were all trying to get in the same egg nest ( I have 4 nests), my Buff Orph is almost ready, and my SLW is close too. My white jersey giant will take a little longer to lay I think. I guess all breeds are different, just be patient, they will all start squatting, I have no rooster and when they see me come they squatt and let me pet them, I swear some don't want me to quit, a few weeks ago they wanted nothing to do with me...Enjoy your chickens, soon they'll be hens.
D.gif

It's like watching paint dry. I think anyone that is not in the "know" about raising chickens would think I've lost it watching me out in their run trying to sneak a peak at some squatting.

Don't worry about what others think. :) We all love our birds. Mine have just started laying beautiful little eggs- went away last weekend and came home to 5 eggs. :) They just turned 20 weeks. Mine have been singing the song for a few weeks, so like you I have been waiting.... my poor sister, got her batch at the same time as me and hers are not even showing signs. I feel that they were squatting and singing and making a lot of noise for about 2 weeks before they gave me an egg. My Cuckoo Marians and EEgrs were the first to lay.

I have found a few eggs in the yard this week- they free range when we are home. I don't have the heart to shut them in, because we are teachers so in about a week or so, they will be in run all day until someone gets home. :(

Back
Top Bottom