1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is "St. Run" the same thing as "straight run?"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Lorikae, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Lorikae

Lorikae New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Hi all,
    I'm in New Mexico and want to order some chicks from a NM-based hatchery: Privett Hatchery. In lots of their links to breeds, it gives the breed name and then "St. Run" as if this is a lineage. I'm inclined to think it's code for a mixed sex batch. Can anyone confirm this? I've never purchased from a hatchery before, only rescued birds that need a home.
    Thank you kindly,
    Lorikae

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes, abbreviation for Straight Run.

3. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Yes, means the same thing; straight run, as hatched. Should theoreticly be about half cockrels and half pullets.

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Quote:theoretically being the operative word there... straight run is a crap shoot -- you may get lucky, and you may end up with 9 cockerels out of an order of 10... [​IMG] I've known it to happen.

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:theoretically being the operative word there... straight run is a crap shoot -- you may get lucky, and you may end up with 9 cockerels out of an order of 10... [​IMG] I've known it to happen.

Yeah, that's what I have had happen too. Strange, I've never got 9 pullets and one cockrell in a straight run order though. [​IMG]

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI

straight run is only fair if all the breeds you are ordering are not sexed at all. if they sell sexed...i.e. pullets,cockerals,st. run....don't do it, the hatchery sexes all birds, fill the sexed orders, then fill the stright run with whats left, if you want hens and cocks, order sexed of what you want plus one or two, just in case, its cheeper

7. ck_dunham

ck_dunham Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    Ottawa, KS

straight run is only fair if all the breeds you are ordering are not sexed at all. if they sell sexed...i.e. pullets,cockerals,st. run....don't do it, the hatchery sexes all birds, fill the sexed orders, then fill the stright run with whats left, if you want hens and cocks, order sexed of what you want plus one or two, just in case, its cheeper

No dought to that! The only way to get a true straight run is to hatch them your self.

8. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    Quote:straight run is only fair if all the breeds you are ordering are not sexed at all. if they sell sexed...i.e. pullets,cockerals,st. run....don't do it, the hatchery sexes all birds, fill the sexed orders, then fill the stright run with whats left, if you want hens and cocks, order sexed of what you want plus one or two, just in case, its cheeper

No dought to that! The only way to get a true straight run is to hatch them your self.

and even then, you can still get all boy's or all girl's. my hatch for MF d'Uccle I got all pullets (i was after a rooster [​IMG] ) hatching is just as much as a crap shoot. but its a lot funner

9. Lorikae

Lorikae New Egg

Nov 29, 2010
    Wow, thank you so much for the information and experience, everyone! I'll take the tips into consideration when ordering...I'll order the hen breeds that I REALLY want as non-straight-run, and leave the less critical ones to fate.

Thank you again all, so much!
    Lorikae

10. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Yes it means straight run

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by