Is Taco trying to protect me? Or is this something different.

Myah1011

Songster
Jun 26, 2023
Today I was picking up my chicken named Hummingbird and like I was trying to put here near the rest of her flock when my turkey named taco started to run up to me (he grew up with this chicken) and started to puff up his feathers and kept trying to peck her while I had her in my hands and was just doing circles around me, when I lowered her to put her down thinking that maybe he thought I was hurting her or something he started to peck her and tried to get her with his claws but when I put her down he immediately calmed down and just stared at me before running back to his flock, and he did it multiple times no matter who I picked up to move so is he trying to protect me?

Today I was picking up my chicken named Hummingbird and like I was trying to put here near the rest of her flock when my turkey named taco started to run up to me (he grew up with this chicken) and started to puff up his feathers and kept trying to peck her while I had her in my hands and was just doing circles around me, when I lowered her to put her down thinking that maybe he thought I was hurting her or something he started to peck her and tried to get her with his claws but when I put her down he immediately calmed down and just stared at me before running back to his flock, and he did it multiple times no matter who I picked up to move so is he trying to protect
Sounds more like he was trying to tell you and that hen that He's in charge. I usually try to make sure my Roo is out of range before picking up one of "his" hens. He doesn't charge me like that, but he gets agitated, and will dominate the hen to let her know he thinks he is charge, and she should be submitting to him alone. But you are dealing with a turkey... Do you have a rooster in your chicken flock?

Today I was picking up my chicken named Hummingbird and like I was trying to put here near the rest of her flock when my turkey named taco started to run up to me (he grew up with this chicken) and started to puff up his feathers and kept trying to peck her while I had her in my hands and was just doing circles around me, when I lowered her to put her down thinking that maybe he thought I was hurting her or something he started to peck her and tried to get her with his claws but when I put her down he immediately calmed down and just stared at me before running back to his flock, and he did it multiple times no matter who I picked up to move so is he trying to protect me?
You need to separate your chickens from the turkeys. When he tries to breed that hen or others of the chicken hens, they will end up as flat chickens.

Sounds more like he was trying to tell you and that hen that He's in charge. I usually try to make sure my Roo is out of range before picking up one of "his" hens. He doesn't charge me like that, but he gets agitated, and will dominate the hen to let her know he thinks he is charge, and she should be submitting to him alone. But you are dealing with a turkey... Do you have a rooster in your chicken flock?
Yes I do have a rooster in my chicken flock

Back
Top Bottom