Is the brood good?

Tho i dont know what to put on the ground for them to walk on, also my chicks are eating too much, is that normal or should i take away thier food for a while, even you can see it in the photo, they're in the food container.
For the first few days, I use paper towels and then either pine shavings or sand though I prefer shavings.

Chicks don't eat too much. They grow fast and need to eat. To be exact, they have voracious appetites and will eat whether they have feed or not. They need to fill their crop when it is empty. I would rather that be a complete feed rather than shavings, feces, paper towels, cardboard, etc..

If only brooding a few chicks, I actually prefer a cardboard box because they're only about $1.50 for a large moving box from Lowe's and after a few weeks when the chicks go outdoors, they're recyclable.
In a small space, whether that be a Rubbermaid tub or a box, a heat lamp isn't needed, especially at room temperature.
I would suggest a 75 to 150 watt ceramic heat emitter available from pet stores or cheaper on Ebay.
If you're going to do this again, I recommend a Premier 1 heat plate. They will save tons on energy cost over the course of one or two broodings over heat lamps.

So my chicks seem bored, and i want them to be happy of course, any stuff i can brighten thier day with, they can play with?

A little update on thier home, they have a new room for more space.I needed to do that cuz i felt clastrofobic just by looking at them

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to our wonderful forum! I am so glad you joined Backyard Chickens, I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

Hello, and welcome to our wonderful forum! I am so glad you joined Backyard Chickens, I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

That doesnt help with my last question -_-

Last edited:
That doesnt help with my last question -_-

Cuz was just being nice! Not everyone is going to have an answer to every question, but they might have an answer to your next question! Lots of members just like to be welcoming.

You can give your chicks clean branches, live meal worms, a pile of finely chopped greens to sort through... there's not much they need beyond that at this stage.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom