1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is "The Chicken Health Handbook" worth getting?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jmc, Sep 22, 2008.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    that' s my question, right up above.

Is it worth it. Looks good. Gail Damerow seems a fine raiser of Chx. Her "Guide to Raising Chickens" has a fair amount of acclaim, and I have benefitted from it............

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    That one is next on my list of chicken books. I've read reviews that say it is very comprehensive and pretty much the 'bible' on chicken health.

3. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I just got it last week and it is awesome. Its on sale at mypetchicken right now for $5 less than i paid, i wish i got that deal. Anyway i think its a must have for poultry people [​IMG]

4. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I'm glad you asked. We saw it at Books a Million the other day and added it to our Amazon.com order. That and a Pocket full of Poultry, which my husband found interesting.

5. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I refer to it often.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Absolutely, it is! It might scare you to death if you read all the way through it at first, LOL, but it's a wonderful reference book to have on hand.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I have one and its worth the price and info needed on hand!

8. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Its a must have as far I am concerned. Speckled hen is right on about it being scary though [​IMG] [​IMG] Who knew that chickens had so many ways of getting sick!! I would reccomend getting it now though, and not putting it off. When one of you chooks is sick- you really want and need to have info right away [​IMG]

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Gail Damerow is a wonderful author when it comes to the topic of chickens. Based on her previous work, I'd think it would be an excellent book.

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Yes she is! After I won storytubes on one of her books, Storey publishing sent me a whole BOX of poultry books, including Pocketful of Poultry, Chicken health Handbook, Storey's illustrated Guide to Poultry,Storey's guide top raising chickens, Storey's guide to raising chicks, etc... for FREE! I HIGHLY reccomend all Storey poultry books, by or not Gail Damerow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by