1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is the circulated air a problem in a hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snaffle, Apr 25, 2016.

1. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    I have 4 Genesis 1588 incubators...for the past several years I have had very bad luck during the lockdown with chicks dying in the shell the last 3 days.

Just recently I was told by someone that he puts his eggs in covered containers with air holes drilled in the sides (he has circulated air but not a Genesis 1588) he has found that he has better hatches when he keeps the circulated air from hitting his eggs.

Well guess what? I have gone from 40 to 50% hatches to 90% because I am doing the same thing.

I am now planning to buy the 1602N to use for hatching.

I emailed the company that makes these and was told I shouldnt have a problem and perhaps I need to adjust my humidity lower.

I still do not think that is the problem.My humidity is 60 to 70%. I have always felt that anything lower is not a good thing for my hatches.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    What is the humidity during incubation? Do you candle and keep track of aircell growth? And humidity during hatching should be at least 65. 60 is too low.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by