Is the Kube 4000 overkill for my electric fence? Other good brands/models?

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Trying to save a little $$ here...but this Kube 4000 seems to get such good reviews--with the grounding rod, cable, energizer (plug in) and tester, it's about $200 when all is said and done. Add that to the $185 for the 164' of fence and the $50 gate and we have some expensive (albeit safe!) chickens!!!!

Is there another (cheaper!) alternative that gets good reviews?
Location is upstate, NY (rain and snow!), flat area, good soil (not rocky), right now having one fence attached but maybe 3 total when all is said and done.

Any other options? The 1/2 joule one on the Tractor Supply website got terrible reviews...

Sarah

Trying to save a little $$ here...but this Kube 4000 seems to get such good reviews--with the grounding rod, cable, energizer (plug in) and tester, it's about $200 when all is said and done.  Add that to the $185 for the 164' of fence and the $50 gate and we have some expensive (albeit safe!) chickens!!!!

Is there another (cheaper!) alternative that gets good reviews?
Location is upstate, NY (rain and snow!), flat area, good soil (not rocky), right now having one fence attached but maybe 3 total when all is said and done.

Any other options?  The 1/2 joule one on the Tractor Supply website got terrible reviews...

Sarah

I have the 1/2 joule from TSC i havent had any issues with it. I fenced in an area 100x75. My 80lb dogs only touched it once and that was the end of it. Adult chickens can touch it and there fine. Younger chickens are usually ok. As long as they dont get caught up in the wire. Which i suppose about any fence you get will be that way.

Also im not sure what you mean by 3 total. If you mean 3 boxs or 3 runs from 1 box but do not use more than 1 fence transformer in the same area. You can run 3 lines in parralel with each other from 1 transformer. If an animal touchs multiple wires from multiple transformers the pulses will basicly grab the animal and wont allow it to get off and will likely be killed.

Last edited:
Thanks! Oh, no I meant three sections of PoultryNet. I looked at the TSC website, but the reviews were kind of spotty...glad you have had good luck with it! I'll research a little more...

Back
Top Bottom