Is the leg broken?

Were the symptoms seen in the vaccinated birds? Can you keep the body cold/refrigerated, but not frozen, and send it to Cornell for a necropsy? If you have had Mareks confirmed before, that may be what is going on. Mareks can last for months or years in the coop, since it is spread by dander and feather dust. Are you feeding a fresh layer or all flock feed? If not, it could be a vitamin b 2 deficiency. Sorry for your loss.
the vaccinated one was the last to become sick and first to die. I've had Mareks in the coop when we lived in VA back like 7 years ago. Since living in NY they have a completely different coop. They are getting a layer feed. I've never sent anything into Cornell so i wouldnt know how to do that but i'm up to try anything. As for it being cold, its been below freezing outside all day so i think im good on that.

the vaccinated one was the last to become sick and first to die. I've had Mareks in the coop when we lived in VA back like 7 years ago. Since living in NY they have a completely different coop. They are getting a layer feed. I've never sent anything into Cornell so i wouldnt know how to do that but i'm up to try anything. As for it being cold, its been below freezing outside all day so i think im good on that.
I’m so sorry for your loss. I would try finding a different food also, something either 18% or 20% protein. Layer food is generally only 16%

A body that is being sent for necropsy needs to be cold, but if it freezes, they will not be able to do the necropsy. So refrigerate it wrapped in garbage bags in a cooler. Do you not have access to a balanced chicken feed?

If you have any birds from the flock who were exposed to the ones 7 years ago, the disease stays with the whole flock. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I’m so sorry for your loss. I would try finding a different food also, something either 18% or 20% protein. Layer food is generally only 16%
this is what they get
1673660937266.png

A body that is being sent for necropsy needs to be cold, but if it freezes, they will not be able to do the necropsy. So refrigerate it wrapped in garbage bags in a cooler. Do you not have access to a balanced chicken feed?

If you have any birds from the flock who were exposed to the ones 7 years ago, the disease stays with the whole flock. Here is a list of state vets to contact for a necropsy:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html
no, we started all over. Thanks for the link

Can i find it at ether Tractor Supply or Country Max?😬
Tractor supply should have it. I was using Layer feed and i noticed them doing much better on the flock raiser, the eggs are better too.

As for the chickens, when my chick had mereks she acted the same way yours is. And it was a very fast decline in her which seems like that’s what’s happening with yours…

We thought it was a dislocated leg too based on her laying down and not getting up. But it did turn out to be mereks

Back
Top Bottom