Is the leg broken?

Overcrowding? Injury? Moldy feed? Not enough feed/water stations?
Dehydration? Reproductive problems, Parasites.....?
the are crowded yes. We de-worm regularly they have three feeding stations and a constantly replenishing water station. The feed is kept in the barn untill it is brought into the back of the coop and never touches water.

I know i’m just saying, i never really thought to look in past posts because some of the time there’s nothing, yk? I hope they figured out a different coop set up because that’s very bad overcrowding
Dad is working on a cow barn a rabbit hutch and something for the pigs but i'm despratly trying to get a new coop bumped up on his list. Its set up for maybe 30 birds and we have over 100.😬

Dad is working on a cow barn a rabbit hutch and something for the pigs but i'm despratly trying to get a new coop bumped up on his list. Its set up for maybe 30 birds and we have over 100.😬
well, i have voiced my concerns and now he's been drawing up coop plans for about a hour. I'm lucky he likes doing things like this.

the are crowded yes. We de-worm regularly they have three feeding stations and a constantly replenishing water station. The feed is kept in the barn untill it is brought into the back of the coop and never touches water.
Storage sounds good.
It's often how the feed is stored before you get it. I've bought feed and brought it home only to discover that it's got molded clumps while in the bag.

You are having birds recover right? Anything special you are giving them - a different feed, supplements/vitamins, etc.?

It's still possible to have a few become symptomatic at the same time with Marek's. You have 100 birds, so 3 out of 100 is not that far fetched. But I would still access food/water, if they are getting into compost, getting around equipment where they could get into oil/machine liquids, etc. Consider everything.

well, i have voiced my concerns and now he's been drawing up coop plans for about a hour. I'm lucky he likes doing things like this.
Here's the link/directions for NY to where to send or bring in your sample to be tested for the bird that died. Avian Flu is still going around as well, but from what I've heard, most birds do not recover and it's highly contagious, so others would have likely gotten that already. Poopy butt hen, vent gleet?

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/animal-health-diagnostic-center

Update: The gray one ended up dying. She delclined in health really fast all of a sudden. The Bard Rock is still alive. I havent found another sick bird since the Leg Horn. My Dad asked around and turns out the place we get chicken food can do custom mixes so they can do a higher protein %. The thing was, the guy said that the risk with that was the eggs getting bigger and that causing possible prolapses etc... Have you ever had any problems with that?

Update: The gray one ended up dying. She delclined in health really fast all of a sudden. The Bard Rock is still alive. I havent found another sick bird since the Leg Horn. My Dad asked around and turns out the place we get chicken food can do custom mixes so they can do a higher protein %. The thing was, the guy said that the risk with that was the eggs getting bigger and that causing possible prolapses etc... Have you ever had any problems with that?
I'm a new chickener (less than 1 year), but from what I've read and my own experience, I"m going to call BS on larger eggs giving chickens prolapse. I mean, if it's a super, super large egg maybe, but I've had my chickens give different size eggs, including increasing in size, and have not have any problems, even with my production red hens, who are known to be prone to reproductive issues. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me). Increasing the protein is a good and healthy thing for your chickens, and will give better long term health. Most feeds are developed for the commercial industry to give the minimum possible protein and still produce the maximum amount of eggs. If your chickens eat anything besides the commercial feed (treats, free ranging, etc), it will dilute the amount of protein they get each day, and they'll fall below the minimum protein recommedation. This can cause them to start undesirable behaviors (feather picking, etc) due to trying to get more protein in their diet.

IMO bigger eggs is a good thing. My chickens eggs grow maybe 30% depending on how much they get to eat in a day. And the 20% Purina Flockraiser is awesome - has more of the trace nutrients they need than the Dumor, but you can feed either. There's a couple poultry vitamins you can administer separately if you worry they're not getting what they need from their feed.

I free feed, but they would rather me put it out as feed mixed with warm water in a dog bowl than get it out of the treadle feeders themselves. When I put some out in a bowl, they eat more and give bigger eggs the next day. When I stopped for a few days, they ate less than normal because they wanted the dog bowl food, and didn't make up the difference with their treadle feeder food, and I got the smallest eggs I've seen since they were pullets! Crazy chickens!!!

ETA: Also I meant to say I'm really sorry your gray chicken died. It's so hard to lose them.

I'm a new chickener (less than 1 year), but from what I've read and my own experience, I"m going to call BS on larger eggs giving chickens prolapse. I mean, if it's a super, super large egg maybe, but I've had my chickens give different size eggs, including increasing in size, and have not have any problems, even with my production red hens, who are known to be prone to reproductive issues. (If I'm wrong, someone please tell me). Increasing the protein is a good and healthy thing for your chickens, and will give better long term health. Most feeds are developed for the commercial industry to give the minimum possible protein and still produce the maximum amount of eggs. If your chickens eat anything besides the commercial feed (treats, free ranging, etc), it will dilute the amount of protein they get each day, and they'll fall below the minimum protein recommedation. This can cause them to start undesirable behaviors (feather picking, etc) due to trying to get more protein in their diet.

IMO bigger eggs is a good thing. My chickens eggs grow maybe 30% depending on how much they get to eat in a day. And the 20% Purina Flockraiser is awesome - has more of the trace nutrients they need than the Dumor, but you can feed either. There's a couple poultry vitamins you can administer separately if you worry they're not getting what they need from their feed.

I free feed, but they would rather me put it out as feed mixed with warm water in a dog bowl than get it out of the treadle feeders themselves. When I put some out in a bowl, they eat more and give bigger eggs the next day. When I stopped for a few days, they ate less than normal because they wanted the dog bowl food, and didn't make up the difference with their treadle feeder food, and I got the smallest eggs I've seen since they were pullets! Crazy chickens!!!

ETA: Also I meant to say I'm really sorry your gray chicken died. It's so hard to lose them.
I agree - I know of no negative effects from an increase in protien. I feed Dumor chick starter (20% protein) to my 9 1/2 year-old girls and offer oyster shells on the side. During a molt, I add scrambled eggs and filet mignon to bump up the protein in their diet.

Have you been giving the BR any special care like hand feeding, vitamins, etc.?

Giving a higher protein feed may be appropriate, it all depends on the % they are getting now vs what the custom feed will be.
I usually aim for 18-20% protein feed. Do provide oyster shell free choice as well.

As for whether an increase in protein will cause prolapses, I have not heard that one. Hens that have a lot of fat can have prolapse.

Back
Top Bottom