Is the market for ducks good?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by un-named, Aug 14, 2011.

1. un-named

un-named Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    I mentioned to a co-worker i wasn't sure i wanted to winter the 5 mixed call ducks, and suddenly I had a market as the Asian cook said she wanted them... just wondering how the market seems to be for us in general.....

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It varies on where you live, but call ducks are small, does she realize they're um... single serving size?

If you live in an area with a large asian population, you may have a market for humainly grown ducks, silkies and small geese.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    There seem to be a lot of free ducks on Craigslist. I'm assuming it would be difficult to sell a duck unless there is a buyer who specifically wants a certain type of purebred.

Dressed duck would sell well, but not legal to sell home butchered poultry here. The general population doesn't want to buy live birds and butcher themselves. That seems to be different with some nationalities, so if they are in your area, then you should have a good market for live birds intended for the table.

4. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well it can depend on what breed you are trying to market and where you are at, I breed call ducks as a hobby so I’m not looking to get much profit if any so I have no problem selling mine at low prices, but around here they are pretty rare so not many people haggle me to lower my prices and I find that they go very fast.

5. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I had no problem selling young Calls and BEIs on Craigs list this summer - in fact, I could have sold more BEIs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by