Is the next box too small for Brahma?

Jul 3, 2018
Ohio
So i have a light Brahma in my mixed flock of 15. She has been laying her eggs on the highest roost bar. Which generally means they fall and break. Which then means the others eat it. And i am not trying to start an egg eating frenzy so this is concerning me. I was in the coop today just checking and i was starting to think maybe the opening of the nest box is too small. I have an older style metal nest box with 10 holes. So there’s plenty of spaces. But seeing her size and the opening i am trying to figure out if she just hasn’t figured it out or does not fit.

Attachments

• 8C21AB19-D37D-4DEB-B072-F203DD158B57.jpeg
    8C21AB19-D37D-4DEB-B072-F203DD158B57.jpeg
    443.3 KB · Views: 15
I have Brahmas. My largest nesting boxes are 13" x 13" The majority are 12" x 12". The largest are the preferred egg laying locations, but i get eggs in all. The hens are between 4.5-6.5lbs processed.
How big is the opening for the nest box? I am certain the inside is plenty big enough but as i was watching her move around the roost bar to get in and out i just wondered if maybe she was too big. She was a spring chick last year but never started to lay before the days got short. So now that they are getting longer i feel like she is still learning. But she is our largest bird.

How big is the opening for the nest box? I am certain the inside is plenty big enough but as i was watching her move around the roost bar to get in and out i just wondered if maybe she was too big. She was a spring chick last year but never started to lay before the days got short. So now that they are getting longer i feel like she is still learning. But she is our largest bird.
Its the full width of the box minus the width of the dividers. So 10 1/2" and 11 1/2".

She was a spring chick last year but never started to lay before the days got short. So now that they are getting longer i feel like she is still learning. But she is our largest bird.
So she's a new layer.....and acting like one.
Lots of bedding and a fake egg in a nest or two?
Give her time, she'll figure it out.
I don't think the nest size is an issue.

Back
Top Bottom