Is the Omlet Coop Big Enough

I don't know if somebody mentioned this to you before, but 3 of your 5 Orpingtons are cockerels.
So this fact might as well be the reason why the lowest on the pecking order is not allowed in at night.
Hi LaFleche,

I had similar problem, but all 5 are hens, but from something like one month ago suddenly the lowest on the pecking order decided to stay outside (safely in the run) instead of sleeping in the coop. Is it because others don't allow her? Thanks.

Hi LaFleche,

I had similar problem, but all 5 are hens, but from something like one month ago suddenly the lowest on the pecking order decided to stay outside (safely in the run) instead of sleeping in the coop. Is it because others don't allow her? Thanks.
Hi Phaedra,

Where exactly is your coop situated? It might get too hot with the actual temperatures, so the hens will not squeeze side by side like they might do in cooler weather.

I would consider these Omlet coops too small for more than 3 standard size chickens. Do all of your 10 hens sleep in there?

Hi Phaedra,

Where exactly is your coop situated? It might get too hot with the actual temperatures, so the hens will not squeeze side by side like they might do in cooler weather.

I would consider these Omlet coops too small for more than 3 standard size chickens. Do all of your 10 hens sleep in there?
Hi LaFleche,

In fact I have two coops, each got 5 hens. And we put both coops at the locations between tall trees and at least 2.5m height hedges, there are also plenty shades in their own runs. Another possible reason is the one prefers to stay outside on a roost, which is something lacking in Omlet coops. Well, so we have no idea, if she feels more comfortable staying on a roost, or other girls push her out :p

But you are right, maybe also they feel too hot when summer approches, their body temperature is really higher :)

Back
Top Bottom