is the quack test 100%

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rocketbunni, Oct 15, 2011.

1. rocketbunni

rocketbunni Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    i have a trio of BEI and I suspect one of the girls may be a drake they were vent sexed at 2 days [​IMG] ...i can get it to quack just rasp, its the smallest of the three though which i find odd, and at 6-7 weeks hasnt got a drake feather through yet. any thoughts? is the quack a fool proof sexing method?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'd think at that age still too young. Might want to give them about 3-4 weeks then decide. even at 10 weeks my drake was still making duckling noises so you might have to wait longer than that. when old enough though I'd say it's pretty fool proof.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. KrazyKZ08

KrazyKZ08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Brevard, FL
    i think the distinction is pretty obvious, especially when you have the girls to compare. i guess time will tell [​IMG]

4. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    For what it's worth, its not hard at all to accidentally vent sex a male duckling as a female. The quack method is a lot more foolproof.

5. DuckyMom

DuckyMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2010
    Upstate NY
    It's as close as you get to 100%
    S/He wouldn't have drake feathers yet and is still growing. They all grow at diffrent paces.
    It sounds to me like you have a drake.

Emily

6. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    If your drake is rasping and not baby peeping, it's a boy. The boys develop a voice box that modifies the "quack" the girls have to a "rasp", once they start rasping and the girls are quacking, you can be quite sure.

By 6 weeks, it should be pretty clear, I can tell the girls "quack" as early as 4 weeks usually, but some I'm not sure until the 6 - 7 week age.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  7. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Uh ... my drake quacks. He didn't get drake feathers until his molt at around 3 months. We thought he was female until then because of the quack. Still quacks at 5 months.

8. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I have one female that I honestly thought was a male based on her quack until about a month ago. With the other 5, the quack test was 100 percent. But this one - not. She is a Khaki hen, made drake quacking noises, not the typical hen foraging noises (my hens chatter constantly when foraging), and was quite aggressive towards other ducks (literally acted like my drakes - she still does). But now she has her adult feathers and is obviously a hen. Hopefully, she will start laying in the nest couple of weeks! She has finally started quacking like a hen, but that is just in last couple of weeks. She's about 21 weeks now. I had even contacted the feed store about getting a sexed duck that was a drake!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by