Is the weather making me depressed?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Chicken People, Jan 11, 2010.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I am so depressed ...I just cant seem to shake it! I have been down this road before...I lost my infant son Jacob Sept 18, 1992. I lost my MIL on 11/3/09. My favorite Uncle is having open heart surgery in a few weeks. These are all good reasons that I am feeling this way but i am not sure...maybe it is the weather and I will feel better when the snow melts and I can go out and build more chicken coops!
    Everything makes me cry....I feel like a big baby!

2. Dragonfly Ranch

Dragonfly Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Happy Valley, CA
    Sorry to hear that you are down. Do you have any hobbies that you could do to help distract you from the sorrow that seems to be in your life? May be a trip to the doctor to get some medications to see you through this time. Spend some time with your family and friends and if they are close enough talk to them and let them know you are net feeling up to par. People may not realize that you need a little extra TLC and when they are aware they can come through for you.

Hope you feel better soon

Sandee

3. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Thanks for responding. I dont have health insurance and cant afford the doctor. I know I could go to the mental health place but I really dont want any meds. I just want to be happy again! I think I will go get my grandson for a nice visit with Nana...maybe some of his sweet lovin will help dry my tears!

4. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I understand how you feel. I'm bi-polar, and during this time of the year, I go downhill. I'm fine for the fall and the beginning of winter, but the end of winter and spring kill me. If you don't want any medications, maybe a supplement? Try St. John's Wort. It worked for me (a little too well, it ended up tossing me over the other end!)

5. quiltnchik

quiltnchik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Virginia
    Quote:I can understand when you say you don't "want" meds, but you may NEED them! You may have seasonal depression (it's a very real disease; I get it every year), and it's best treated with medication unless you have a source of natural sunlight (or a natural sunlight lamp) to be in every day. It's a miserable feeling to be so depressed, so please seek the help you need and deserve.

6. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Vitamin D is usually lacking in the winter as it is mainly derived from sunlight. Bump up your supplement!

7. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    So vitamin d and st johns..okay I will try those. I only take a daily low dose aspirin (since the small stroke aka TIA) and heartburn med as needed. I am off to see my grandson! Thanks for caring. I love BYC!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    For the vitamin D supplement, it needs to be vitamin D3, which is better utilized by the body than the D2. It will say on the label that it is cholecalciferol.
    I am currently taking 5,000 IUs a day to deal with the winter blues. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, meaning your body stores the excess, but it takes very large amount - 10,000 IUs or more - before you start running the risk of getting too much.
    Here's a very good article on the subject:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natural-Health/2008-02-01/Vitamin-D-Sunshine-Supplements.aspx

Good luck to you!

9. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Bundle up and head out into the sunshine- if the sun is shining. It really helps. I also turn on the lights all through the house and put on some Tina Turner! Can't help but dance and sing then!

10. 2chickenrich

2chickenrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2008
    Perry, Georgia
    You need sunshine , go outside , bundle up ,keep warm . I sit in my swing . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by