Is there a candle making thread here?

Quote:
Well.. if your handy you can make a dripper.. with a lego motor on it lol where you have a dowel and every 2 mins it drips the down and out my friend built one from legos it works great she hands 30 and drips 30 at a time

I'm just getting into candles. We made some rootbeer candles in tiny mugs with brown wax and whipped/mashed wax on top for the foam. We're very new to it but I've been making Melt & Pour soap for a while. I try to keep quiet about that on here though because I guess it's not very "proper". Anyway I want to use some Soy wax in the future. Is it essentially the same as paraffin or do you have to use a different technique? Do you all prefer wax block color or liquid colors?

CYG

Wow, I'm so glad I found this thread! I have 10 pounds of soy wax that I've had for a year & have been wanting to make candles with it. I have bunches of EO & FO, as well, but I don't have any wicks or tabs. I have a friend that lives several hours away & she makes soy candles, buys used wine glasses and cocktail glasses at thrift shops & makes nicely-scented soy wax candles in the wine glasses. She charges $10 a candle & cannot keep enough of them made up, especially around the holidays! People like the "fancy" wine & dessert dishes.

If I am doing soy candles in glass containers, what size/type wick would be recommended? I have some beeswax-coated hemp wick that I was using for a different project, but I have like 5 yards of it left over & I hate to see it go to waste. Would that work with soy candles?

Quote:
Each wick depends on what type of wax your using.. and also how big around is the jar or pillar? 1 oz per pound of wax is a good rate to use..

Thank you for the info.

Is there a fragrance oil vendor out there that anyone prefers? I have a girlfriend who swears by saveonscents.com, but I have not ordered from them myself.

I also have some "blank" incense sticks to dip & also have the DPG I'll need. I do have some fragrance oils around here, but they are a little old. I may order some fresh soon, will probably use up what I have & experiment with making matching scented gift packs for Christmas... i.e., candles, wax tarts, & hand-dipped incense all done in the same fragrance. Some of my oils are also skin safe, and I do have soap molds and some melt-and-pour soap bricks... I could also make matching soap. I'm just not buying a bunch of Christmas presents this year... I like making stuff instead. Makes me think of the people I'm making it for, which is the point, isn't it?

Have y'all ever done the rolled beeswax candles? A person can get really creative with that stuff.

Strawberry short cake
98966_imgp4095.jpg

baked apple pie.. this one has some color specks on it tho.. but thats no biggie
98966_imgp4097.jpg

key lime pie
98966_imgp4099.jpg

Blueberry Cobbler
98966_imgp4103.jpg

Watermelon Taffy
98966_imgp4104.jpg

Candy Corn.. omg this one will make your mouth water
98966_imgp4140.jpg

I went back to my old business name sweettreatcandles.com cause people where mixing up my name with another one with almost the same name.. I got wicks-end 5 years ago and now there are so many out there, so i had no choice but to go back to my other name i started with.. its so confusing .. how they can change one wee thing and it be ok ya know.. liek i have gothicvampirebathery, for my gothic bath and body products and now so many are tryign to copy that.. my amagicforest is for my clay figures that seems to be left alone, and my essencebynature seems to be left alone too thankfully.. it is just crazy in the business world lol

Back
Top Bottom