is there a "crucial" stage?

BellLisamo

Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis
10 Years
Feb 7, 2009
Tombstone, AZ
I'm wondering what the chance of survival is.

Like, for example, i candled my 8 eggs, they are due on the 23rd, all are moving and veining really nicely. What are their chances of survival? If i keep the temperature and humidity accurate, you think they will all make it?

When is it most crucial?

I'm glad you asked that question, because I've had several hatches that the babies have made it all the way to pip, but then died...and I want to know why!!!
hit.gif

You have a good chance but remember you can have quitters and bacteria rings right up to hatch. I have found the most critical time is the first ten days due to the fact the embryos are very fragile at this point. Just watch temp and humidity and dont handle anymore then you have to and if you have to handle them make sure you wash your hands first. Good luck

My first hatch I started with 41, had 22 at day 18 and hatched out 12. Go figure... .and the 10 that didn't hatch were fully developed, they just didn't pip.

Also of the 12 that did pip, 3 weren't progressing so I helped all three. They are all alive and kicking. One has spradle leg, I bandaged it and he was better before two weeks had passed.

Farm in alot of cases if they make it to pip and die it is a humidity issue. Sometimes a weak or deformed chick will do it to but in most cases it has to do with either to high humidity or to low

Quote:
wow! oh i hope they make it. id be happy with one! this is my FIRST hatch. and of course i decide to try the "hard" eggs. ducks...
lol. (well i hear they can be a pain)....

no more handling til im taking fuzzys out!

Back
Top Bottom