Is there a cure for crossbeak?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cassie0980, Jun 16, 2009.

1. cassie0980

cassie0980 In the Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Western New York
    I hatched some BO/Americauna eggs for a friend from church on May 26. We hatched 14 out of 18, and they all looked great! This past Sunday, the 14th, she said that one of them has a crossed beak. I know it wasn't like that when it hatched, I'd have noticed something like that. Is this something that just happens? How do we fix it?

The Angry Hen likes this.
  2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    The beak will continue to get worse as the chick grows. How bad it actually is will vary widely.

1. Make sure that the chick can eat & drink. You may need a deeper bowl for the chick.
    2. You can trim the beak (carefully) to help it get access to food. Use fingernail clippers and a file.

I've got a banty cochin with a slight twisted beak. Hers it's very serious. There are many on BYC with severe cases. Sometimes you may have to cull a bird with this deformity if it cannot eat on its own.

3. danielbrown

danielbrown Songster

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    If you/they keep it alive do not breed it.
    You can pass on these unwanted traits.

4. givengrove

givengrove Chirping

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    Can a chicken with crossbeak drink from a nipple waterer?

5. tastyacres

tastyacres Crowing

Feb 23, 2017
    Waiting foe snow
    You might be better off starting a new thread!

All my chickens drank from a nipple water... But none of the mines had a to a severe case of the cross beak!

givengrove likes this.
  6. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, CA
    My Coop
    I have one that is drinking from a vertical water nipple. It has to be pushed in against a spring. It is also eating fine too. The chick is likely a cockeral though. If so, he will be chicken dinner soon.

7. givengrove

givengrove Chirping

Mar 15, 2017
    Missouri
    Poor boy! Haha but thank you anyway

8. bekachickenborn

bekachickenborn Chirping

Jul 17, 2016
    How severe is the cross? My crossbeak has just a slight cross. She eats and drinks fine. I'm just sure to trim her beak every month or so. I was really disappointed when I first noticed it. But Thomas (yes it's a girl...my three year old named her) is sweet, quirky, and has become my favorite bird. Good luck!

givengrove likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: