Is there a cure for crossbeak?

cassie0980

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 24, 2009
Western New York
I hatched some BO/Americauna eggs for a friend from church on May 26. We hatched 14 out of 18, and they all looked great! This past Sunday, the 14th, she said that one of them has a crossed beak. I know it wasn't like that when it hatched, I'd have noticed something like that. Is this something that just happens? How do we fix it?

The beak will continue to get worse as the chick grows. How bad it actually is will vary widely.

1. Make sure that the chick can eat & drink. You may need a deeper bowl for the chick.
2. You can trim the beak (carefully) to help it get access to food. Use fingernail clippers and a file.

I've got a banty cochin with a slight twisted beak. Hers it's very serious. There are many on BYC with severe cases. Sometimes you may have to cull a bird with this deformity if it cannot eat on its own.

Can a chicken with crossbeak drink from a nipple waterer?
I have one that is drinking from a vertical water nipple. It has to be pushed in against a spring. It is also eating fine too. The chick is likely a cockeral though. If so, he will be chicken dinner soon.

I hatched some BO/Americauna eggs for a friend from church on May 26. We hatched 14 out of 18, and they all looked great! This past Sunday, the 14th, she said that one of them has a crossed beak. I know it wasn't like that when it hatched, I'd have noticed something like that. Is this something that just happens? How do we fix it?

How severe is the cross? My crossbeak has just a slight cross. She eats and drinks fine. I'm just sure to trim her beak every month or so. I was really disappointed when I first noticed it. But Thomas (yes it's a girl...my three year old named her) is sweet, quirky, and has become my favorite bird. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom