Is there a feed that you can feed to your entire flock??

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by steffpeck, Aug 27, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I have chickens ranging from 2 days old to 18+ months old, hens and roo's. Is there a feed that they can all eat, so that I don't have to buy 2-3 different feeds and keep them separate? Thanks!!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yes, Purina makes Flock Raiser (unmedicated, too, I think). That would do well for you.

3. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I was told that Purina Flock Raiser can be fed to all ages of chickens. I know several people who feed it that way and love it.

4. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    Purina Mills Flock Raiser SunFresh Recipe is specially formulated for raising a mixed flock of poultry until laying age (18-20 weeks). It is also designed to meet the more demanding needs of broiler or meat-type chicks, raising them successfully from hatch to either market or maturity.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I've been wondering about the Flock Raiser because the feed store a mile from me carries it but I didn't know if I could use it for my layers or not. Thanks for the info!

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I use it for my layers too....I just keep a dish of oyster shell out for the girls who are laying.

7. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Good to know- I have little feeders that I keep free choice oyster shell in for my layers already so that shouldn't be a problem. If I remember right, the guy at the feed store said that turkeys grow good on Flock Raiser. If that's the case, I'm guessing my ducks will do ok on it too.

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's what I feed my call ducks. I do start all my chicks and ducklings out on Start and Grow and then switch them over.

9. ChickenCop

ChickenCop Chillin' With My Peeps

I would feed it too, but cant afford 16plus for a 50lb bag....Ill stick with producers at 11 a bag, for layer and chick.

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:That's my great debate at the moment. I can get 100 lbs for $19 a bag but it's layer mash. The trouble is that most of my birds right now are not laying yet but will be in the next two months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by