Is there a freshness test without water?

MndaG

Chirping
May 15, 2018
NH(USA)
I know you can check to see their freshness with the water test. My concern/ questions is.. Will the bloom come off of them using that method? Is there another way to check the freshness without the water test? I don't want the bloom to come off of them from putting them in water.

I know you can check to see their freshness with the water test. My concern/ questions is.. Will the bloom come off of them using that method? Is there another way to check the freshness without the water test? I don't want the bloom to come off of them from putting them in water.

Do you have a reason to believe that your eggs aren't fresh?

I bought an egg spiral to help me keep eggs rotated and I also have a system for stacking cartons in the fridge so that I can keep track of what needs to be used.

Do you have a reason to believe that your eggs aren't fresh?

I bought an egg spiral to help me keep eggs rotated and I also have a system for stacking cartons in the fridge so that I can keep track of what needs to be used.
I have more than I was able to use up. I don't refrigerate mine so they are currently in a basket. I was planning on handing some out to friends and family, but would like to make sure they are fresh without ruining the bloom on them.

Thanks for that explanation. The float test doesn't tell you if the egg is safe to use or not, just how much moisture has evaporated from the egg so it's an indication of how old it is.

The float test will compromise the bloom. Any egg that has been wet should be refrigerated.

Some people write the date the egg was laid on the egg so they always know how old it is. Instead of storing them in the basket you might develop a system of storing them in egg cartons and stacking the cartons in a way that you know which are oldest. Off the top of my head I can't think of another way to keep track.

Some people write the date the egg was laid on the egg so they always know how old it is. Instead of storing them in the basket you might develop a system of storing them in egg cartons and stacking the cartons in a way that you know which are oldest. Off the top of my head I can't think of another way to keep track.

That's what I do. They start in the spiral then move to cartons in the fridge with the oldest on top. Or they stay in a basket for a while because I'm deliberately aging them for peelable hard-boiled eggs.

Thanks for that explanation. The float test doesn't tell you if the egg is safe to use or not, just how much moisture has evaporated from the egg so it's an indication of how old it is.

The float test will compromise the bloom. Any egg that has been wet should be refrigerated.

x2. And I agree that if you really want to know the age of each egg, writing the date on each one in pencil would give you 100% accurate info with no risk of damage to the bloom.

Back
Top Bottom