Is there a good place to put a PVC feeder?

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
I posted this on the Feeding & Watering board but I thought maybe I would get some input here.

My husband and I have been trying to figure out how best to mount a PVC feeder to our coop. We're not sure where it should go. There are doors in the way all over the coop! It definitely needs to go either under the coop, in the coop, or in the covered run (the one on the right)...but how would I attach it? I'm confused...heh. Here's a pic of our coop. The back looks just like this with two doors on the coop, but the back of the runs don't have doors. The left side of the coop that you can see here has the 3 nesting doors, so there aren't those doors on the right side. This will be our only feeder since we only have 6 chickens, so it needs to work well and not get wet.

907756601_iXQ72-L.jpg

Another thing to consider is the angle of the feeder. I have a 30 degree elbow on mine, and I have to put it at an angle to get the food to flow properly. I tried a 45 degree with no luck. Here is a picture of my set up

50487_100_1621.jpg

I put a very tight fitting cap inside the pipe, screwed an eye hook into it, and then "hung" it from a screw in the top of the coop. It is resting on the ground, but hung at an angle that lets the food flow.

For your set up, I would probably try to hang it under the coop. Will they have access to it at night? Post pictures when you come up with a solution!

Just a thought - I would run it down the front left corner inside of your coop. Have the top extend through the roof and have the feeder end down in the run. If you have the top extend above the roof line you could fill it with out disturbing it. You could either paint it black so it looks like a chimney or face it with stones to look like a stonework chimney.

Your coop is top notch.

I would go around to the back side and attach it to the side and have a 90 elbow about 6 inches from the ground. Then extend it out about 12 -18 inches and cut the upper half of the pipe away for the girls to feed out of. I strapped mine to the side with metal plumbers tape. Like you would strap a water heater to the wall with. Make sure you put silicon caulking at the fittings where rain might seep in.
So when it's done it kinda looks like a chimmney stack coming up. The 90 degree elbow is enough to work prorerly, it it does not flow down the girls will help it out.

Back
Top Bottom