is there a guide somewhere?

spish

De Regenboog Kippetjes
13 Years
Apr 7, 2010
Belgium
on how to 'prepare' a turkey...from running out in the field up to on your kitchen table?

i have never ever slain a bird in my life and prepared it...but its something i have to learn to do (for my chickens too they are breeding out of control so time to eat a few methinks)

ive read a bit online but its just totally confused me..theres wet plucking dry plucking, scoulding? letting it sit..rigor mortis etc.....my head is swimming!

so is there any kind soul who could direct me to a simple guide or who could take the tme to write their method out for me?

hows best to kill the bird? hows best to pluck it? how do you get the insides out without cutting the bird open totally?! hows best to store it until needed..can you butcher, cut and eat on the same day or does it have to sit in a fridge/freezer for a few days???

help!

Look it up on youtube, there are many video's on the subject. Watch several of them because there is more than one way to skin a cat! There are also many good threads on here about it and in the meat bird forum. Most people kill the weekend before Thanksgiving. It needs to sit in the fridge for up to a week. If you did it today, it would be OK but at least 4 days is better. Scald at 140degs for about 60 seconds. I keep them in the water for about that long and try one of the big flight frathers on the wings. When they pull out, it is ready to pluck. Some people chop the head off and let them flop but I hang them by their feet and slit their neck and walk away yor a few mins.

Back
Top Bottom