Is there a hatchery that sells decent quality silkies?

steffpeck

Songster
12 Years
Mar 25, 2007
Erda, UT
I am wanting to get some silkies to use as broodies, I am not sure I want to hatch eggs for them. Is there a hatchery that sells decent silkies?

I think My Pet Chicken!
thumbsup.gif

The Silkies I got from My Pet Chicken did not survive. Within 3 months all 10 had died. Mine that I hatched from my own birds here at the same time were thriving and still are. My original Silkies came from a breeder. At 4 years old they are still doing great, as are the kids I raised from them.

I am wanting some silkies also and it has been tempting to order them from a hatchery but I think I will just wait and buy a mature pair from a breeder when I can. None f the local feedstores had any silkies. What a disappointment.

From what I've read from many people, Ideal actually has the worst. Red combs, single combs, 4 toes, lack of silkied feathering, etc.

You could always buy culls from a breeder and they will still be better than hatchery silkies. Breeders always have culls because there is no way for a breeder regardless of how good their flock is can hatch 100% breeder or showquality birds. I think the rate was said to be 5 for every 100 you hatch will be showquality.

Back
Top Bottom