Is there a long-lasting rechargable flashlight?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sunny Side Up, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I'd like to have a good, reliable light to keep handy for doing the chicken chores after dark, and also for night-time safety checks. All the battery-powered ones get lost, used & run-down by family members, and/or need frequent battery changes. And I'm such a cheapskate I'll keep using a light even when the batteries start to grow weak, but get annoyed by the dim light it throws.

I just bought a B&D rechargable light and thought I'd found the tool I wanted. It's easy to plug in, flashes when its battery is full, and throws out such a bright beam when first turned on that you could signal passing aircraft with it.

But the light only lasts for 20-30 minutes! I think, I haven't timed it with a clock. But it's awfully annoying to have it go from blazing-bright to dim to dark before the chicken chores get done. That's with a fully-charged battery, if it's partly full the light only lasts about 5-10 min.

And I suspect that the duration of the light is growing shorter with each use, it seemed to last only about 15-20 min tonight.

Why can't a rechargable light be made to last longer? Is there such a thing & if so, what's the brand & where did you get it?

2. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    we bought crank up flashlights. You crank a minute ad have up to one hour of light. doesnt need batteries and when the light ets darker you just crnk some more and you have more light again. I bought them for 9.95$ (without radio) and 14,95$ (with radio, and alarm sound build in)at Walmart. handy to have i wouldnt trade them

3. Rosebud75

Rosebud75 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Vt
    We bought some hand crank flashlights too. They work fine, and I keep one handy for emergencies. No batteries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by