Is There A Non-Destructive Breed?

birdhands

Hatching
Aug 19, 2022
Hi Everybody, longtime lurker (and learner) here.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a goose breed that won't debark my fruit trees, break branches off my blueberries, damage my grapevines, etc.

Thanks!

There is no breed of goose that won’t act like a goose, but there are some things you can try.

The best method is ensuring they have no access to what you don’t want them chewing on, like putting fencing around your plants and trees, or pruning lower branches within their reach.

Another thing to keep in mind, if geese see you pruning bushes or whatever, they’re going to see that as you fiddling with it, and the only reason you would fiddle with it is if it’s something fun to fiddle with, so they’re going to want to fiddle with it too.
So if you have to do any work with your vines, trees, and bushes, make sure they’re not around to see it if they aren’t kept away from it by fencing. If you think they spotted you doing this you can shake your hands, twist your face up and shake your head, the universal YUK face is universal, they’ll think it probably tastes bad and are less likely to want to mess with it. I don’t guarantee it will work all the time, but it can help.

Last edited:
Hi Everybody, longtime lurker (and learner) here.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a goose breed that won't debark my fruit trees, break branches off my blueberries, damage my grapevines, etc.

Thanks!
I have French Toulouse, American Buff, and Africans. They're all still really young, but they don't mess with my trees or blueberry bushes. Mine have plenty of room to roam, and that might be why, they have plenty else to keep them occupied (like destroying any cardboard, they love the stuff).

I have 9 acres of maintained pasture, but I still have to use grape vine fencing around freshly planted trees, flower beds, and veggie garden to keep my geese (and chickens) and other wildlife out.

I have deer netting shrub-sacks over my young fruit trees -- it keeps the geese off as well (although a duck wedged under one and got trapped.) The berries are in raised beds with bamboo stakes and bird netting for a fence which has worked better than the previous snow fence that they squeezed past or under.

71pfiA7sRTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07W8Y638H

Man they love the deer netting, I have it tied to the deck railing to keep my dog and gander from going at it and the girls love just tugging on it constantly.

Back
Top Bottom