is there a place you can order 14 weeks or older pullets?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by karlamaria, Nov 9, 2012.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Im not wanting to start the spring wioth chicks only to get eggs for just a few months in the fall until the hard winter here comes on. I would love to order bigger birds in March and have eggs at least by June.I could kick my self for giving all but two chicks away last month. and the two I kept are doing great but one is a rooster. Im going to replace 3 or 4 birds come spring and wanted to get older pullets.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, but, and this is important. The hatcheries will sell your pullets, at point of lay, but the choice is usually a commercial layer. These are raised and sold for the hen house customers. Their beaks are oft times trimmed, which is a turn off for me. Shipping of large birds is costly.

I'd keep my eyes peeled for folks here on BYC near you talking about having something that would interest you. I'd also regularly scan the Craigs listings. Best wishes.

3. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    x2

4. Arica

Arica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2012
    Spokane Washington
    Mypetchicken sells commercial layers but also really reare breeds

5. chickenboy221

chickenboy221 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2012
    i tryed getting some 4 pullets and they wanted to charge me almost 200 just for shipping not includding the birds prices

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, I don't think I could handle a beak trimmed bird. That's just wrong on so many levels.

You should just look around on craigslist. I know there are folks local to me who are ordering chicks now, to grow over the winter and sell in the spring as layers or point of lay. I'd do it myself if I had the space. Lots of folks don't want to mess with chicks.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  7. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    [​IMG] oh man, no way do I want my girls beeks cut. I will do as you say, look on craigs list and so fourth. thanks all of you for your replys :)

8. heavygear88

heavygear88 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2012
    virginia
    everyplace i checked for them they were around 17 dollars or more (this is from hatcheries). but the expensive part is that they charge an absolute ridiculous amount on shipping as stated above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by