Is there a problem is I have to put my chickens in the house at night?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tripp16, May 27, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Hi again,
    Im wondering something, is it normal for me to have to put my pullets up at night and when it storms? They dont act like they know how to go up the ramp leading into the house.

I just got them yesterday evening so is just because their still figuring everything out??? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

They are still figuring it out. A handful of scratch or bread or whatever when it's time to come in at night helps reinforce. As for going in the coop in bad weather? Mine only come in during the worst of storms. Just rain, they don't care and seem to enjoy it even.

3. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

You need to lock them in their house for about 3 days. After that they will return to it on their own. [​IMG]

4. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Thanks for the advice. How long do you think it should take for them to figure it out?

5. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:So they will just automatically come back into their house at night roost?

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:So they will just automatically come back into their house at night roost?

Yes. They need to be penned up a little while so they can learn where "home" is. That will also teach them where the eggs need to be laid. After a few days they will go in on their own. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by