Is there a secret to growing corn?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mylittlechickpea, Jan 17, 2011.

1. mylittlechickpea

mylittlechickpea Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The last time I tried growing some in the backyard, it made it about a month and a half they were maybe two feet tall before they kicked the bucket [​IMG]

I bought some more corn seeds at the feed store today and I would like to stick them in some soil tomorrow. But I kill plants. Easily. And fish. And crayfish. And abalone. I think that's all I've killed recently, but it's still discouraging me from making a garden.

It's warm here, so I don't have to worry about all the frozen ground stuff... So is there some big secret to corn? I also have some broccoli seeds to I'm eager to put in.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would suggest you check with your states Master gardener program, or your state Agriculture dept.

3. mylittlechickpea

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Thank you. I didn't know there was such a thing as master gardener program. But google brought up quite a few links [​IMG]

4. txhomegrown

txhomegrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Como, TX
    You might want to give this a try.

According to Iroquois legend, corn, beans, and squash are three inseparable sisters who only grow and thrive together. This tradition of inter-planting corn, beans and squash in the same mounds, widespread among Native American farming societies, is a sophisticated, sustainable system that provided long-term soil fertility and a healthy diet.
    Corn provides a natural pole for bean vines to climb. Beans fix nitrogen on their roots, improving the overall fertility of the plot by providing nitrogen to the following years corn. Bean vines also help stabilize the corn plants, making them less vulnerable to blowing over in the wind. Shallow-rooted squash vines become a living mulch, shading emerging weeds and preventing soil moisture from evaporating, thereby improving the overall crops chances of survival in dry years. Spiny squash plants also help discourage predators from approaching the corn and beans. The large amount of crop residue from this planting combination can be incorporated back into the mound at the end of the season, to build up the organic matter in the soil and improve its structure.
    Corn, beans and squash also complement each other nutritionally. Corn provides carbohydrates, the dried beans are rich in protein, balancing the lack of necessary amino acids found in corn. Finally, squash yields both vitamins from the fruit and healthful, delicious oil from the seeds.

I have used this and had fantastic results. 7 and 8 foot tall corn with big fat juicy ears.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Google "growing corn in hawaii" lots of hits. Seems like you need specific hybrids and special care d't the tropical conditions. The U of H has a program.

Good luck

Imp

6. mylittlechickpea

May 2, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Quote:This sounds very interesting. I will def have to go out and find some more seeds. I'm very excited.

Imp, I did googled that one right after the master gardener program. I didn't like that I should have a special hybrid [​IMG] I want to use my seeds. I think I'm going to head out to walmart tomorrow and look for some beans and squash, and see the result I can get with that. I think it sounds neat.

I know I need to rake my soil up a bit to airate (sp?) And I wanted to mix in some fertilizer, aside from all the random water creatures and one bird I have hanging out back there under ground.....

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    I get my best results planting in well-rotted manure directly from my manure pile. It is manure with lots of shavings and a bit of hay mixed in. I use the section of the pile that is about 6 mos old and haul it to a raised bed until I have a layer about 10" deep. Then I add garden lime to the bed and let it set under plastic until anything that is gonna sprout from the pile has done so (about 2 mos). Then finally I add my seed and soaker hose. Last season I harvested 127 ears from an 8 X 8 bed.

HTH

Rusty

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  8. Royd

Royd Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Middleburg, Fl.
    Plenty of manure, ample water, and don't go on vacation, when the ears are reaching maturity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by