Is there a substitute for Tylan 50/200?

Cyan Night

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I went to my local feed store to pick up the medication but they didn't carry it, nor had they ever heard of it. The only thing they could offer me was tetracycline and I already have it and find it's not really working. Is there another medication similar to it that I can look for or other names that it goes by? Thank you!

Did you check in the cattle medicines since that is what Tylan also known as tylosin is used for. Many farm store people don't realize we use Tylan in chickens. What strength are you giving of the tetracycline? If using Duramycin 10, to give the maximum dosage, use 1 tablespoonful per gallon for 7-14 days. If they don't drink enough, as sick birds tend to not drink well, you may need to syringe feed it carefully. Many people also add a little citric acid to tetracycline to help with absorption.

I checked, told them that it's usually used for cattle and swine, but I was going to use it for chickens and they came back with nada. And that's pretty much the dosage I've been using for her. She eats and drinks well, just has a nasty eye infection that looks like it could be from infectious coryza or dry pox. I've also been flushing her eye and applying a triple antibiotic on it

Can you post a picture of the eye? If it is pox, that is a virus, and antibiotics would only help to prevent secondary bacterial infections. MG and coryza may respond to Tylan. Is there a bad odor around the face that might indicate coryza? Sulmet and Sulfadimethoxine are used to treat coryza. Here is a link about TSC locations on either side of Phoenix: http://www.tractorsupply.com/StoreL...d=-1&city=phoenix&state=AZ&zipCode=&radius=50

Distance / Address Information 27.23 Miles APACHE JUNCTION - 184410545 E MAIN STREETAPACHE JUNCTION,AZ 85120(480) 986-0848View Directions Make this my Store Monday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Tuesday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Wednesday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Thursday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Friday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Saturday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Sunday: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM 29.87 Miles BUCKEYE - 17842555 S MILLER ROADBUCKEYE,AZ 85326(623) 386-3208View Directions Make this my Store Monday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Tuesday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Wednesday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Thursday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Friday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Saturday: 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM Sunday: 9:0

$14.49

★★★★★ ★★★★★
Be the first to review this product
. This action will open a modal dialog.

In Stores Only - Check Availability
Check store availability
SKU 2205389
Cattle Treatment; 100 ml Size; Tylan 50, Elanco Type More

You may have already been to these, but here they are my store keeps it behind the lock and key.

These are the only decent pictures I can get right now. In the second picture you might be able to see black dots on her comb. Mosquitoes have been terrible this year, so I'm not sure if it's just scabs or pox scabs

Last edited:
It could be pox, but she definitely has some sinus swelling near her eye. I would keep trying to get the Tylan if possible, but many people use tetracycline. The good thing about Tylan is that you can get the correct dose in her each day, while meds in the water are hard to gage if they are getting enough.

Alright, thank you!
The tetracycline just seems to be working either hardly at all or just very slowly. I hate keeping her away from the flock so I'll definitely try to keep at it with the tylan

Back
Top Bottom