Is there a such thing as a non-aggressive broody hen?

LilithA

Chirping
Nov 14, 2015
I have a hen who sits on eggs like a broody hen but I can take them from under her and move them. Later on she moves to where I put the other eggs. She won't bite me and I can kick her out. She was previously hurt but is looking fine no internal injuries or anything. I am worried about her please help!

Some girls are so sweet they don't mind any interference from you so I wouldn't worry. Just make sure she is taking a break and getting enough to eat. Sometimes broodies can be bullied by other hens in the flock, simply because they are acting oddly, so just make sure she's looking after herself and has access to food. Also ensure she's not suffering from mites while she's sitting. Broodies are an easy target for mites and they can potentially kill a hen, especially seeing as broodies aren't eating as much as usual and do lose a bit of condition sitting on a nest. So check under the bedding to ensure there are no creepy crawlies.

Does she cluck constantly to herself when she's off the nest? Broodies often do that, then suddenly they make a bit protesting noise and realise they must get back to their eggs.

Some girls are so sweet they don't mind any interference from you so I wouldn't worry. Just make sure she is taking a break and getting enough to eat. Sometimes broodies can be bullied by other hens in the flock, simply because they are acting oddly, so just make sure she's looking after herself and has access to food. Also ensure she's not suffering from mites while she's sitting. Broodies are an easy target for mites and they can potentially kill a hen, especially seeing as broodies aren't eating as much as usual and do lose a bit of condition sitting on a nest. So check under the bedding to ensure there are no creepy crawlies.

Does she cluck constantly to herself when she's off the nest? Broodies often do that, then suddenly they make a bit protesting noise and realise they must get back to their eggs.
Yes she does cluck when off the nest. She will eat when there are no eggs in the nest. I don't believe she has mites or that there is any.

My Luna a Cochin Bantam is so broody, I am so amazed at how long she just sits there. Mind you her eggs aren't fertile and I take them out.
Today I was cleaning the nesting area which I can get to by opening up the top, she was sitting there, she refused to move I had to clean all the hay and such around her, she isn't aggressive at all she does make a noise but that is it, she lets me pet her but she's always been sweet.

I have 4 broodies right now occupying one large nesting box (they are bantam mixes so they are small hens) 3 of them are sweeties, fluffing up, maybe screeching but one is a little pecker. Luckily she doesn't peck hard.

@WickedChicksNH, it's not good for a hen to be continuously broody. I would either break her or concede defeat and toss her a few fertile eggs to sit on. Cochins are notoriously broody and I've discovered early on with my girls (Buff O's and OEGBs) that if you break them, they will just go broody again. Personally, I'd find her a few fertile eggs and make her a happy hen. Cochins make great moms.

I have 4 broodies right now occupying one large nesting box (they are bantam mixes so they are small hens) 3 of them are sweeties, fluffing up, maybe screeching but one is a little pecker. Luckily she doesn't peck hard.

@WickedChicksNH, it's not good for a hen to be continuously broody. I would either break her or concede defeat and toss her a few fertile eggs to sit on. Cochins are notoriously broody and I've discovered early on with my girls (Buff O's and OEGBs) that if you break them, they will just go broody again. Personally, I'd find her a few fertile eggs and make her a happy hen. Cochins make great moms.

That is so good to know I was wondering about that because she seems very broody, she does come out of her coops and hang with me and her coop mate but half the time she is in that nesting box. I actually incubated 2 of her eggs that hatched. a couple weeks ago. they are in my office with me.

I will definitely try and break of her of this habit as I got rid of my roo little over a month ago because he was becoming very aggressive, I feel bad for her she looks like she would be such a good mommy and wants to be one. i incubated her eggs because it was so cold when she laid them

Thank you for the advice

Back
Top Bottom