Is there a to big?

Westmo

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 9, 2013
Hello,
As you can see we are still in the process of building our coop, and this is our first time getting chickens! We are getting 6 Rhode Island Reds. Is there such a thing of to big out a coop? We plan to give the chickens about half the space of the inside, and use the other half for storage. We live in colorado, so we thought it would be best to not have such a big area for the unpredicatble winters. Is this a good size for only 6 chickens? Also one other strange question: Are chickens sensitive to bright colors? This used to be an old play house and the walls are painted pretty out there. Thanks so much!!

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, Westmo, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you in our community! First of all, let me congratulations and WOW
ep.gif
what a beautiful coop!
bow.gif
I am so jealous!! Secondly, bigger is better with coops - you can partition it off if you don't want to give only a few birds access. And, if you ever want to add birds to the flock (and who doesn't!!) then you'll be set. Lots of folks have wished they'd built it bigger - few if any ever said the opposite. Have fun and enjoy your birds because I know they're gonna love their coop!

Welcome to BYC. That looks like the start of a great coop and run. You will discover that there is no such thing as 'too big'.
lol.png

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Love your coop. Generally standard sized fowl should have at least 4 square feet of floor space in the coop per bird - remember than in bad weather they may be confined inside, so lots is always better. And as the others have said, more room is always better, just in case the chicken bug bites you hard.
You also may want to consider covering at least part of the run with something solid to give them a snow-free area outside to lounge in (my run is partially covered and they use it in all but the coldest weather).

Hello, As you can see we are still in the process of building our coop, and this is our first time getting chickens! We are getting 6 Rhode Island Reds. Is there such a thing of to big out a coop? We plan to give the chickens about half the space of the inside, and use the other half for storage. We live in colorado, so we thought it would be best to not have such a big area for the unpredicatble winters. Is this a good size for only 6 chickens? Also one other strange question: Are chickens sensitive to bright colors? This used to be an old play house and the walls are painted pretty out there. Thanks so much!!
welcome! I too used a 12x12 old playhouse my daughter outgrew for the inside coop and the run is 15 ft long n 9ft wide. I have 6 chickens as well. My run is completely covered, top to bottom. We used tinted wavy plastic roofing we had on an outdoor porch that we tore down. I'm in Ga and wanted to provide plenty of shade for the girls cuz our summers here are long and very hot. So far so good. My do not free range because I have huge birds of prey here so I buy crickets for them to chase and for the protein they need. Mine are not yet old enough to lay but we r hoping soon! :). I think the standard per chicken is 2x2 inside and 3x3 ft for outdoor space... But yes, ur set up looks great! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom