Is there a trick to getting baby chicks to roost?

Gainesvillechickenlover

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 16, 2008
I was curious. We have 5 chicks around 7 weeks. They are in the pen most of day and at night I put them in the hen house. They will not roost they keep jumping back to the floor. Will they eventually get it? Just curious.

Mine have been roosting since they were 2 weeks old.
I built a mini roost for them.
They will get the hang of it after a while.

Good luck

I agree, they will eventually. It is a natural instinct, and they will do it when they are ready. I know there are a few exceptions, and I have a frizzled cochin rooster that never roosts, he sleeps on the floor, but it doesn't bother me if it doesn't bother him! I have a "ladder" with very close rungs that I made so that my Silkies could get up to roost since they can't fly well, and they all figured it out eventually.

Don't try to force them to roost. Roosting before the keel bone has hardened can cause deformities. They'll roost when they're ready.

Mine are 2 weeks, and when hubby made them a larger brooder, he made several mini-roosts for them. The lowest and longest one is only a few inches off the floor. Just now I walked by and there were TEN chicks lined up on the roost. They like the higher ones too... the highest is about 6 inches high.

Maybe they need to get used to the idea of something a little lower to the ground before they want to jump up to the big-girl roost? (assuming that your roosts are at all high)

Back
Top Bottom