Is there a trick to sexing blue ameraucanas

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
My blue and black ameraucanas are about 3 months old now and I still can't tell sexes on any of them! Is there a trick? The photos are just a sample as I have like 13 of them running with my others breeds. They don't seem to have discernable hackles or saddle feathers and everyone's comb looks pretty similar too.
20210721_112009.jpg
20210723_113941.jpg
20210721_110535.jpg

Well that would be awesome haha
In this breed, is there a telltale sign?
At 3 months, a male will start to get male saddles and sharp hackles. Comb growth would be large and red. My 2 EE cockerels got red combs at 5-6 weeks.

My blue and black ameraucanas are about 3 months old now and I still can't tell sexes on any of them! Is there a trick? The photos are just a sample as I have like 13 of them running with my others breeds. They don't seem to have discernable hackles or saddle feathers and everyone's comb looks pretty similar too.View attachment 2771504View attachment 2771505View attachment 2771506
You may have all pullets, if they all look the same.

Curving tail feathers are a good indication, and larger combs... I'd expect them to be showing at this age.

1627086402315.png

I tried to look up ameraucana roosters and this guy came up. He is 14 weeks old.
Your black may be one?

Attachments

• 1627086225777.png
    1627086225777.png
    479.1 KB · Views: 15
You may have all pullets, if they all look the same.

Curving tail feathers are a good indication, and larger combs... I'd expect them to be showing at this age.

View attachment 2771581
I tried to look up ameraucana roosters and this guy came up. He is 14 weeks old.
Your black may be one?

The black one is definitely a pretty girl.

At 3 months, a male will start to get male saddles and sharp hackles. Comb growth would be large and red. My 2 EE cockerels got red combs at 5-6 weeks.
EEs and ameraucanas are quite similar in sexing. Not sure if yours are pure though. Ameraucanas come in a few reconized colors.

The black one is definitely a pretty girl.

EEs and ameraucanas are quite similar in sexing. Not sure if yours are pure though. Ameraucanas come in a few reconized colors.
Blue and black are both reconized, but I cant tell if they all have the correct leg color.

They are pure ameraucana from my own birds. I've had the parent stock about 6 months and incubated multiple batches and just never been able to tell them apart. The rooster was a lavendar ameraucana and the hens are splash and blue ameraucanas. I think the breeder I bought mine from got her original birds from cackle. I recently replaced my rooster for bad behavior and am now using a splash ameraucana for my next hatches. I have the last batch of eggs from my original rooster in the incubator now and would really like to figure out what I'm looking for with this breed. Ameraucanas are way trickier than my barred rocks ever were...

Back
Top Bottom