Is there a way to breed BBW turkey?

N0rthernChicks

Chirping
May 3, 2016
Foster, RI
My Coop
My Coop
We acquired a female BBW turkey from a family member who could no longer keep their birds. I understand a male BBW cannot breed as it will crush and kill the hen. Is it possible to breed her with a different type of turkey and have successful fertile eggs?

You could breed to her to a tom of a different breed. The poults would be cross-breds, but that's no big deal. AI is another option. Is your female laying eggs or not? Meat breeds generally are very poor layers. They don't live long either.

You could breed to her to a tom of a different breed. The poults would be cross-breds, but that's no big deal. AI is another option. Is your female laying eggs or not? Meat breeds generally are very poor layers. They don't live long either.
She’s 5 months old so not laying any eggs yet. She seems to be on the smaller size compared to other meat birds I’ve seen. I told my family member I would give her a good home so I feel too guilty to butcher her. I would rather make her useful and breed her somehow

BBW turkeys regularly live long enough to breed, and the hens can live for years, so I wouldn't worry about that. You can breed her to any tom. Personally, I'd look for a midget white.

You can also breed her to BBW or BBB, if you're willing to A.I. Toms can also live for years if not fattened, and they're true-breeding, (they're not like CX chickens) just by A.I. to prevent stress or injury to the hens. It's not difficult, the hardest part for most people is getting over the squeam factor.

Last edited:
BBW turkeys regularly live long enough to breed, and the hens can look very for years, so I wouldn't worry about that. You can breed her to any tom. Personally, I'd look for a midget white.

You can also breed her to BBW or BBB, if you're willing to A.I. Toms can also live for years if not fattened, and they're true-breeding, (they're not like CX chickens) just by A.I. to prevent stress or injury to the hens. It's not difficult, the hardest part for most people is getting over the squeam factor.
I’ve never considered A.I. I would have to do a lot of research on doing that safely. I usually prefer the natural method lol

All domestic turkeys are the breed Turkey. She could breed her to a heritage variety. Whether or not the breeding would be successful depends on both her and the tom.

We acquired a female BBW turkey from a family member who could no longer keep their birds. I understand a male BBW cannot breed as it will crush and kill the hen. Is it possible to breed her with a different type of turkey and have successful fertile eggs?
Artificial insemination is the preferred method of fertilization for broad breasted turkeys. It is much more efficient than natural breeding for BB turkeys.

BB turkeys can breed naturally. If doing so, it is recommended that yearling hens and toms be used. It is inefficient and in some cases may not be effective.

It is a really bad idea to allow a BB turkey to hatch and brood poults. They do not have the ability to move their legs in the delicate manner that heritage hens can. This can result in broken eggs and stepped poults.

Back
Top Bottom