Is there a way to calibrate an incubator thermometer/humidity gauge?

Weeg

Enabler
Jul 1, 2020
Small town in Western Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Hey guys,
I recently borrow and NR360 from a friend for my next hatch. I'm planning on getting my own as well, but the eggs are coming sooner than I can get my hands on one.
That said, I'm currently re-calibrating my separate thermometer/humidity gauge for this next batch of chicks. The friend of mine used the incubator without using a separate thermometer, or humidity gauge and got 50% hatch rates. The eggs she got, she picked up 45 minuets from her house so they didn't travel to long to get here, making me think that the hatch rate wasn't ideal. Now I'm interested in seeing how off the incubator thermometer and humidity gauge actually is. Now I know I can figure that out with a second calibrated thermometer, but temp in my last incubator changed some. Sometimes you had to have the incubator temp set at 102 to keep a 99.5 on the separate thermometer, and sometimes higher. I dont know if it will be the same, but I'm figuring it might.
So, I'm wondering if its possible, I think it could be at least for humidity. When you calibrate a separate humidity gauge, you put it in a sealed environment with damp salt for 6-8 hours. Could you do the same thing with the incubator, except put the salt in the bator instead of the gauge inside a sealed environment? Would the incubator be sealed enough? Of course, the bator would have to be turned off for the hours it takes to stabilize, but say at the 8 hour mark, you set the temperature gauge to super low, and turn the bater on. It won't be be very hot in the beginning, and should tell the humidity before the heater warms the environment to much. Do you think it could work? Do you think there's a way to do it with the thermometer to? I just though it would be an interesting question to ask. Thanks guys!

No the salt method requires the total environment to be subjected to the salt test. The salt absorbs the humidity or something. You could however stick the entire inbubator in a sealed bag. Try to eliminate all the air pockets. I was thinking it takes 12-24 hours to test. Please post your test results of this if you do.

No the salt method requires the total environment to be subjected to the salt test. The salt absorbs the humidity or something. You could however stick the entire inbubator in a sealed bag. Try to eliminate all the air pockets. I was thinking it takes 12-24 hours to test. Please post your test results of this if you do.
I will. I'de have to get a huge bag! Haha!
I'll keep this thread posted. :)

Well if you had an already calibrated stand alone thermometer, stick that in the bag too to compare the reading.

Back
Top Bottom