Is there a way to de-ice water in the plastic waterers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kathyinmo, Oct 10, 2009.

1. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Post # 938
    I have some of those 1 gallon plastic waterers that screw on. Can I use these in the winter? Meaning, can I use a heater with them, or is that only for the galvanized cans?

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Are you going to be using a heat lamp in the coop? If you are, could you place the waterers under or near by so that maybe they won't freeze?

3. kathyinmo

Post # 940
    Well, I don't plan to use heat, but I guess I could. I have read somewhere that it costs $30 a month to run a heat lamp. That is just way too much, IMO. I would prefer a cheaper alternative.

4. HappySlappyFarm

HappySlappyFarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Massillon, OH
    OMGOSH! $30 a month??? I have two running. [​IMG]

5. kathyinmo

Post # 941
    I'm not for sure, but I think it was Pat that said that (Patandchickens). It sure made me stop and think! Honestly, my electric bill has really went up the past couple months, and I too am using a couple. YIKES ! Gonna have to come up with a quick solar heat method at this rate!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    I just thought of this......ever see those snugglesafes?? here they are on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imports-SnuggleSafe-Heatpad/dp/B00008AJH9

I use these for the feral cats, heat in the microwave at night and they stay warm, I wonder if I can heat it and put it underneath the plastic waterer?? I am going to try tonight
    The only drawback would be after so many uses, a few years, they don't heat up as hot

[​IMG]

7. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    $30 a month is a dollar a day and well worth the investment to have liquid water!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by