Is there a way to keep snakes out of the coop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just remember black snakes eat mostly mice and RATS.

They also contol baby opusoms (sp), cats, and skunks.

I release them in my barn and have never had a problem in the coop or the rabbit hutches.

Of course the releases are done while my wife is at work.

If she were home...then I would have a "snake" problem.

billyroo

Snakes aren't generally bothered by "scents" persay...they don't smell things like we do. Instead, they utilize a chemoreceptor system, the Jacobson's Organ. They essentially "taste" chemical particles that make odors in the air by sticking out their tongue, drawing it back inside their mouth and the scent particles are taken into a nerve-lined pit in the roof of their mouth for identification...the Jacobson's Organ.

The largest ratsnakes in the U.S. come from exactly the area I live in in Kansas, and I've not heard anybody having chickens stolen by snakes. It would be able to kill and eat a baby or Bantam...but ratsnakes definitely prefer mice and other rodents. Kingsnakes are found in the U.S., as well as Bullsnakes, but they are not known to be bird-eaters. I keep several individuals of the mentioned snake types as pets and mine eat only pre-killed rodents.

Last edited:
Sparrow,

I'm not sure of this snake's agenda but he/she was up on the top rung of my roost sitting exactly where my girls always sleep. Now the girls don't want to go up on the roost. The girls are only six weeks old (two New Hamp. Reds and two Barred Plym. Rocks). Do you think the snake wanted to eat them or was he looking for other food? With only four chicks maybe he was thinking he could have an easy meal!

What do you think about the sulfur ring on the outside of the coop?

Usually we have snakes around when a big rain storm is coming and sure enough Friday night and then early early Sunday morning we had big storms. Lots of thunder and lighting!

Thanks

ilovemychicks,
You want to be careful using fox urine as you will
lure fox to your pen.
They use a s*x hormone I believe, so it would be like
jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Quote:
Yes! Black snakes are good snakes. I don't want to kill them, I just don't want them in my coop!!!
smile.png

Okay, sorry to any snake lovers out there, but I HATE SNAKES!!! Just the word "snake" is gross. An animal that can move, but has no legs....just weird.

I think I'd rather have a cat to keep mice/rats away! I pray that I don't ever find a snake in my coop. Last summer, I opened our bluebird nest box to see if there was a nest in there and instead there was a black snake all curled up.
I totally freaked out
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif

I actually started crying.
hit.gif

I called my husband at work and was crying so hard, he thought it bit me or something. I had to wait until he got off work to get it out. That was the longest 2 hours of my life! He shot it.

Chickaroo! :

Okay, sorry to any snake lovers out there, but I HATE SNAKES!!! Just the word "snake" is gross. An animal that can move, but has no legs....just weird.

I think I'd rather have a cat to keep mice/rats away! I pray that I don't ever find a snake in my coop. Last summer, I opened our bluebird nest box to see if there was a nest in there and instead there was a black snake all curled up.
I totally freaked out
ep.gif
ep.gif
ep.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif

I actually started crying.
hit.gif

I called my husband at work and was crying so hard, he thought it bit me or something. I had to wait until he got off work to get it out. That was the longest 2 hours of my life! He shot it.

yuckyuck.gif
Sorry, but it really is funny!
big_smile.png
I don't like them either, but I do believe in preserving the balance of nature and would much rather have the black snakes around than the copper heads, which could kill one of my kids or dog. I always try to compromise!
smile.png

I still don't want snakes of any kind in my coop though!!!​

Gumpsgirl, it might be funny, but ever since then, when I check the birdhouse, I throw rocks at it before opening it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom