Is there a way to keep snakes out of the coop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chickaroo! :

Gumpsgirl, it might be funny, but ever since then, when I check the birdhouse, I throw rocks at it before opening it!

LOL! I guess the reason I am laughing, is that I am not laughing at you, BUT it just sounds like something I would do!!! Especially the rocks!
lol.png
Like I said initially, I don't mind the snakes from far off, but I don't want one near me or wrapping itself around me.
big_smile.png

I was told to pour burnt motor oil around the perimeter of the coop and to also incorperate moth balls around the coop and run. I believe there is something in the oil that the snakes don't like. An old timer told me this.

it's worth a try.

There are a couple of species of snakes called "black snakes." One, the black racer, is not interested in chickens or eggs, being too small to swallow them. the black rat snake, however, will eat eggs and young birds.
As stated, rat snakes do a great job of controlling rodent pests. Rat snakes can develop a taste for chicken and return repeatedly, and there is no known scent you can put out that works consistently. Your absolute best bet is sealing cracks with mesh or sealant to keep them out. Any crack or hole that a snake can enter, mice and rats can, too.

Haven't tried it yet but someone told me to lay a thick rope or old waterhose around the coop cause snakes don't like to go over anything that moves. I know for a fact that a "rat snake" or chicken snake" will eat eggs and keep coming back for more cause I have caught 3 in the act.

We have garter snakes up to 5' long here and I've always been told that having cats keeps them away in part because we don't get rats/mice with cats present. I don't imagine a cat could discourage an adult black snake but you certainly wouldn't get breeding near the coop if you encouraged cats. We're constructing our run now and using 1/2" hardware cloth buried around the perimeter and across the length and width. A baby snake might make it through, but an adult couldn't and the inside of the coop is protected similarly with mason wire and a porch.

I keep thinking about the weasel comment too and how one can use a space the size of a hot dog. I guess you have to think like a predator to exclude them!
cool.png

Even then, constant maintenance is an issue. I heard about a coop near here that was invaded by raccoons who systematically stripped old shingles to get at rotten boards on the roof and entered that way. Yeesh.

Last edited:
I don't usually want to kill non-venomous snakes either. But, I was very upset to find what I think was a rat snake in my chicken coop on Thursday evening. It is raised off the ground by about 2 feet. The snake climbed the walls to get away from me. It didn't hurt my 4 girls. It got away with its life, but I am concerned about it returning. I am working to fix a few cracks in the door of the coop. The thing is that it entered during daylight hours! That is when the coop will be left open once I finish the "run" for the girls. This is my first experience owning chickens. I am wondering if grown chickens are in danger from snakes or just chicks and eggs?

Here we have a lot of Bull snakes which is closely related to the black rat snake. The longest we have had was near 12 feet long and could take a full size chicken. Both Bull snakes and Rat snakes are good at keeping away venomous snakes, and keeping the rodent population down.

Close off any small holes in the coop.

Keep the area clean of food that might attract mice, rats, or other rodents.

Moth balls also work, since they don't like the naphtha in them. Flacks are easier for chickens to eat, so avoid them. Stick the ball in the hole but don't just lay on the ground or where chickens can get to them. I would not use the used motor oil method as the your state or local environmental office would totally freak out if they found out.

Remove any brush piles near the coop, this discourages rodent from being there. Which is one of the main reason for the snakes coming in.

Rodents like to tunnel under things, so pick up any thing that might be laying on the ground.

We have found black snakes after they have raided the eggs and they will get the biddies too. I had to 'relocate' a snake to snake heaven on Friday because he just wouldn't stop coming around. He actually bit one of my dogs and I even got it on video!! UGH!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom