Is there a way to make my Flock aggressive?

FrostyWind

Songster
Jun 12, 2016
Hi
I would like to know if there's any way that I can make my Roosters and Hens aggressive? Like really aggressive?
The reason I want them to be aggressive because my flock are free range all their life, occasionally hawks and rats would come along, but not attack, well except for the rats because they snatch vulnerable chicks when the mom isn't looking. But the Hawks I just want to make sure my flock is very aggressive when a predator swoops down, like those other videos of chickens actually fighting off birds od prey lol

Well, I don't know about "agressive" but I know that roosters by nature will protect the flock. If you watch your chickens a lot, every now and then you will hear the rooster make a strange, sudden and aggressive clucking followed by all of the hens quickly running to the coop. Usually the rooster will still be standing out in the run or yard looking around in the sky. 9/10 a hawk/eagle flew over and he was telling the ladies to get in the house. A good rooster never has his head down for more than a few seconds out in the open - his job is to guard the flock.

I would say that's mostly genetics. I do know the RIR breed tend to be very aggressive as roosters (from my experience of all RIR we had) so if that's what your looking for...

I'm not sure there's a way to train a bird to be aggressive..if there is now I'm curious lol.

Agreed, I have seen some roosters that only care about breeding the hens and will share with 10 other roosters and then there are some, like a RIR, who don't even want a human near their girls.

Yea, I get that, but of course my Roosters sound the alarm for the ladies to hide.
But (I forgot to mention) hawks would land on the ground close to hens and all the Flock (roosters and hens) would go crazy nuts clucking and making loud noise, but I've never seen Roosters go an attack them even though the hawk is smaller,

Well, I don't know about "agressive" but I know that roosters by nature will protect the flock. If you watch your chickens a lot, every now and then you will hear the rooster make a strange, sudden and aggressive clucking followed by all of the hens quickly running to the coop. Usually the rooster will still be standing out in the run or yard looking around in the sky. 9/10 a hawk/eagle flew over and he was telling the ladies to get in the house. A good rooster never has his head down for more than a few seconds out in the open - his job is to guard the flock.
Agreed. A good rooster is always on the look out, usually up on higher ground if possible, calls to the hens if danger is presented and will risk his life for his ladies.

Yea, I get that, but of course my Roosters sound the alarm for the ladies to hide.
But (I forgot to mention) hawks would land on the ground close to hens and all the Flock (roosters and hens) would go crazy nuts clucking and making loud noise, but I've never seen Roosters go an attack them even though the hawk is smaller,
I had a PBR that ended up dying from a fight with the fox, but the point is.. judging by the blood in the snow and the tracks it was a good vicious fight. That also comes with age and maturity.. this fox fighting rooster was 5 yrs old.

Sorry, thinking back there were actually 2 times a hawk came, swoop down and caught 2 of my baby chicks, even though the mother would try to.fight the hawk.just ignores her andand flew off with the chicks.
And the Roosters just watched

Okay, I see what you're saying. Well, I don't really think roosters are "attackers" they are "defenders". Attacking a predator would require them to separate from the hens, thus no longer defending them. That is simply the way I believe they act - if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom