Is there a way to teach a duck how to use a ramp?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by arnaudgf, Aug 27, 2013.

1. arnaudgf

arnaudgf Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    We recently updated our ducky pool to add a drain (my back thanks me :)). The pool is now higher than it was though, so we added a ramp to the pool. We made it rather wide and not too steep to make it easy for the ducks to use. It seems one of the cayuga won't use it. I don't know if she doesn't understand the ramp concept, if she's scared or if somewhat she can't use it. I've never seen her have issue on the ramp, but every time I see the ducks in the pool, she just hangs out outside.

She looks healthy and happy otherwise, but it worries us since our Cayugas love to swim and we don't want her to miss on it, and I believe bath are healthy for them (their waterer is big enough so she can dip her face in it).

Did anyone ever tried to teach a duck how to use a ramp? Not sure how to go about it. I don't want to just grab her and lay her in the pool, I'm worried she would freak out and never want to go anywhere close to it anymore.

Thanks a lot :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    When we used the ramp for our pool our ducks didn't have any problems but they had a ramp going into their house so guess that helped. Do you have access to any down trees? if so maybe cut a stump for her to use once I n the pool she may just see the others coming out using the ramp and get use to it that way. Now that we moved our pool that's what we use we have 3 stumps sitting around the pool and they use those to get in and sometimes use them on the way out. Ducks don't like change and most likely she is just one of the ones who really doesn't like change.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by