Is there a way to train chickens to stay in ones yard?

sallyjayd

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 18, 2009
Pennsylvania
Can I train chickens to stay home/ or off the porch/ out of a garage/ out of the neighbors flower/ off the road without a fence. They are flying out of their coop I would love free range chickens & a duck. I have trained dogs & cats even barn cats who at first didn't even let me touch them. I heard of people training birds.

Is It possible to train chickens not to go certain places?

I have shrubs, lots of activites in the yard I'd like them to stay to look though
lots of shade or sun I live on about 1/2 an acre But would like them to stay on about 1/4 acre

I have chase them back with the broom swinging

Is this worth trying?

smile.png
Well...I don't really think so, but let me know how you come out if you try because I would also let my chickens free range if they would stay OUT of my flower beds, gardens, patio,sidewalks, you get the picture!
wink.png

Is there somthing you can sprinkle around your flower beds or porch to keep them out? I.E. dried peppers? I think that if you keep them locked in their coop or chicken yard for a few days they will automatically return home at night. As for during the day, I don't know. I think they will go wherever there's food like bugs and such.

My chickens like pepper seeds - don't think that's an option. The only thing I know of that works is fencing...barrier types or electric. If you find something else that works, my flower beds would love to know about it!
idunno.gif

If given enough room they'll stay within a large area with consistant and persistant encouragement/discouragement if there's SOME kind of barrier... BUT I doubt it will work if there's a yummy looking garden, roosting sort of porch, or nice bush to lounge under etc in easy sight/reach. Mine stay 'mostly' where they belong, but I don't count on it all that much. They still venture out if they get bored or interested by something they see... they're called 'bird brains' for a reason... they really don't learn very well.

I had 8 roos in coop with a dirt run for about 5 months
and the past 2 week I opened the run and they stay close to
their coop and walk right in at night and tuck themselves in. and they walk out in the morning at 6. my hens are in a seperate coop and run. so far roos have stayed put. and they walk all around the 3 cats. who just sit and watch their crazy antics.
I have cochins and they seem mild mannered like the ORps.
but they could change their habits soon LoL who knows.

Quote:
I think everyday they will wonder a little farther from the coop. Eventually they will be far from the coop but most likely will always come back at night to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom