Is there a way to train chickens to stay in ones yard?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sallyjayd, Aug 31, 2009.

1. sallyjayd

sallyjayd Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Can I train chickens to stay home/ or off the porch/ out of a garage/ out of the neighbors flower/ off the road without a fence. They are flying out of their coop I would love free range chickens & a duck. I have trained dogs & cats even barn cats who at first didn't even let me touch them. I heard of people training birds.

Is It possible to train chickens not to go certain places?

I have shrubs, lots of activites in the yard I'd like them to stay to look though
    lots of shade or sun I live on about 1/2 an acre But would like them to stay on about 1/4 acre

I have chase them back with the broom swinging

Is this worth trying?

2. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] Well...I don't really think so, but let me know how you come out if you try because I would also let my chickens free range if they would stay OUT of my flower beds, gardens, patio,sidewalks, you get the picture! [​IMG]

3. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Is there somthing you can sprinkle around your flower beds or porch to keep them out? I.E. dried peppers? I think that if you keep them locked in their coop or chicken yard for a few days they will automatically return home at night. As for during the day, I don't know. I think they will go wherever there's food like bugs and such.

4. lavacaw

lavacaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    South Central Texas
    My chickens like pepper seeds - don't think that's an option. The only thing I know of that works is fencing...barrier types or electric. If you find something else that works, my flower beds would love to know about it! [​IMG]

5. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

If given enough room they'll stay within a large area with consistant and persistant encouragement/discouragement if there's SOME kind of barrier... BUT I doubt it will work if there's a yummy looking garden, roosting sort of porch, or nice bush to lounge under etc in easy sight/reach. Mine stay 'mostly' where they belong, but I don't count on it all that much. They still venture out if they get bored or interested by something they see... they're called 'bird brains' for a reason... they really don't learn very well.

6. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    Little shocker collars? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I had 8 roos in coop with a dirt run for about 5 months
    and the past 2 week I opened the run and they stay close to
    their coop and walk right in at night and tuck themselves in. and they walk out in the morning at 6. my hens are in a seperate coop and run. so far roos have stayed put. and they walk all around the 3 cats. who just sit and watch their crazy antics.
    I have cochins and they seem mild mannered like the ORps.
    but they could change their habits soon LoL who knows.

8. Bring

Bring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2009
    New Mexico
    Quote:I think everyday they will wonder a little farther from the coop. Eventually they will be far from the coop but most likely will always come back at night to sleep.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The short answer is no, you can't train them to stay in any one place without a barrier to keep them there.

10. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Train your dog and your dog will train your birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by